Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Momotaro Auction for March.

Post Thanks / Like

Momotaro Auction for March.

Hey everyone check out the Momotaro Auction for March...
    http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/

KFG, I would suggest taking a look...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm...

Maybe its my untrained, newbie eye, but I have to be honest. I didn't find one koi that tickled my fancy. And even Eagle's offspring. Don't get me wrong, I saw a couple that caught my attention (pattern wise), but nothing put me in awe...Is it me or is it the camera angle, do some of the heads look odd to anybody. Some appear too snipey for my taste. I guess I like nice heads with soft faces and strong - long sexy bodies...hmmmmm. I'm a sucker for a nice white odome (Eagle), hahaha...Sanke is sooooo difficult....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for pointing it out. A wonderful selection of patterns that look rather finished on koi that size and age. Sanke #15 is particularly interesting in that respect. No Showa, but note the number of Sanke with Sumi edging onto the head ... in one or two instances an improvement to my eye. I would like to see in person to get a better sense of the finish and depth of color. High degree of similarity in conformation/body shapes. The eye of Maeda can be seen, I guess.

Anyone know of U.S./UK dealers attending the auction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Maybe its my untrained, newbie eye, but I have to be honest. I didn't find one koi that tickled my fancy. And even Eagle's offspring. Don't get me wrong, I saw a couple that caught my attention (pattern wise), but nothing put me in awe...Is it me or is it the camera angle, do some of the heads look odd to anybody. Some appear too snipey for my taste. I guess I like nice heads with soft faces and strong - long sexy bodies...hmmmmm. I'm a sucker for a nice white odome (Eagle), hahaha...Sanke is sooooo difficult....
    Akai-san, I think the fish are way better in person..Trust me from the last Sept. auction I was thinking the same way but when you see the fish in person it's different, way different!! Just ask Brian or Mike S. Anyways, if the fish were too perfect now as far as shiroji goes there would be no room for improvement and being that those are Jumbo Tosai means there will be room for improving. Yes, Sanke is so difficult but they are still my favorite, just because most people can't see Sanke. I think with every auction that comes and goes everyone is looking for a fish that when big will strike your fancy. It's one thing to look at a fish now, but I think it's even harder to project a fish at 80cm or even 90cm and that's when the guessing game begins. Peace out!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good information. Thanks. My problem is the only thing I get to look at are pictures. And truly, I am a sucker for them awesome heads and bods. How do you look for the koi in the future? I just tend to squint a little and imagine a wider canvas of white around a tighter figured patterns. I think when koi are young, they very loose patterns that push and pull in and out to some degree. Unless we get unlucky and end up getting one of those faded white ones. Haha...hey thats not funny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good information. Thanks. My problem is the only thing I get to look at are pictures. And truly, I am a sucker for them awesome heads and bods. How do you look for the koi in the future? I just tend to squint a little and imagine a wider canvas of white around a tighter figured patterns. I think when koi are young, they very loose patterns that push and pull in and out to some degree. Unless we get unlucky and end up getting one of those faded white ones. Haha...hey thats not funny!
    Well what I look for is nice conformation...To bad you dont have the amount of dealers we have here in Northern California in Hawaii. Well everything is a gamble, 50/50 they say, some more than others have the best of luck when it comes to picking tosai /jumbo tosai and growing them to sucess....

What I look for in tosai....my check list.
    1. Check for any deformaties 1st and for most!!
    2. Check for conformation...if the lines of both sides are equal you use the dorsal fin as a divider(imaginary line so to speak) to check this. Size of head, the distance of the eye from the end of the gill plate will most likely tell you the fish will grow big. Also the width of the nose too, the wider the nose the greater the overall apperance of the koi will be. Try to imagine the koi at 50 or 60 cm, you dont have to look to far in the future.
    3. Skin quality if the head is a bit tinted then no good, slight chance it will stay that way. But general rule is that if the tint is consistant with the fins and body more that likely it will clean up.
    4. Pattern and depth of color. Remember if the fish has to much sashi atleast 2 scales deep it will more than likely clean up giving you that sharp kiwa when it gets bigger and older, more that 2 or more scales deep probably stay that way. Pattern is to each his own of course, but maki plays a big part of it to so pick something that the maki is wrapped down enough to give you a uniform look to the pattern.
    5. Finally breeder or bloodline, this is last because I think it is best to look for koi that gets your interest, not by breeder alone. Mind you even the best "Name Brand" breeder produces junk, so be aware of that. I ask about breeder after the I do the first part of my list. Then I make a decision, pass or purchase. The 2 P's, remember that. Don't get caught up in a buying spree because everyone else is buying. Until i do my check list with a koi then will I use the 2 P's.

Also, remember that no koi is alike, that's what makes this hobby cool. If there is a koi that strikes your fancy buy all means purchase it, but do your check list before you finally decide. It is always good to take a camera with you whenever you go koi shopping, I do. You can always take a pic(of course with the dealers permission first) of the koi you are interested in. Dewell, on it and see if the koi grows on you. I wouldn't take a pic of the koi until it passes the whole list first. Some dealers will hold fish if your seriously goin to buy, but never hold a fish for too long because the dealer loses chances to sell the fish to a customer who wants it now.

This is the list I go by, I am sure others have a different routine they have. Picking tosai/jumbo tosai for that matter is never a exact science. It's fun to still buy tosai after so many years in the hobby, I met newbies who say they aren't goin to waste their money on tosai. But where is the learning process? Sure we can all look at pics to give us a general idea, but everything is produced to see in person.

Last but not least, take someone with you who is alittle more experienced...or ask questions. I am sure you have met the Horimotos before they are a cool couple with alot of years in the hobby who know. They are easy to talk too and are very helpful.

Until the next post, Happy Koi Shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe its my untrained, newbie eye, but I have to be honest. I didn't find one koi that tickled my fancy. And even Eagle's offspring.
    i don't think they are Eagle's offsprings. The description of the parent says "bloodline of Eagle" which is 88cm while Eagle as we know is more than 90?

to those who've experienced these auctions before of 40cm Momotaro gosanke of similar background, could you kindly provide me with a rough price range of the winning bids? i'm thinking these koi are all beyond my reach, but who knows unless you ask. i might be able to ask someone to try to get me one those koi if the price is on the right side of the ridiculous line.

Post Thanks / Like
    edited posting see below...

Post Thanks / Like

Question

What the heck is 200 pieces? Is that Japanesse money? And if it is what or how much is that?
    And I have to say that I think some of the koi are really nice koi and I dont think I will be able to afford these koi. I think most will be mega bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soelistyo
    to those who've experienced these auctions before of 40cm Momotaro gosanke of similar background, could you kindly provide me with a rough price range of the winning bids? i'm thinking these koi are all beyond my reach, but who knows unless you ask. i might be able to ask someone to try to get me one those koi if the price is on the right side of the ridiculous line.
    I'd recommend discussing the auction prices with a dealer who you know goes to Momotaro for these auctions and go from there. There's a whole range of prices, but they are worth it. Momotaro lists their dealers on their site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast