Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Snaden..Finally got those showa photos

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Snaden..Finally got those showa photos

Finally got some close ups Mike. We were all having a discussion awhile back regarding sumi on the white ground..whether it comes up or not. Here some new photos as promised.
    10 1/2 inch Ooyama bred tosai
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle closeups 025.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle closeups 026.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle closeups 027.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle closeups 028.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raffle closeups 030.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	540  

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for posting. I think the black is really the highlite of that koi. The way it weaves it's way thru out the length. I have seen so many wonderful showa that have black on only one fin and seen many a hobbyist shy away from a wonderful koi because of that. I encourage our posters to honestly comment from their opinion, kinda an informal survey.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can really see where that sumi is coming, I think it's going to be very nice... cool. How old?

Terri

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I think you have a very nice tosai there.

Since you asked for it, I hope you will not mind me commenting.

As much as I can tell from a photo, the shiro is excellent. The sumi is too, but I have concerns about it getting overwhelming, especially in the mid section (there is sumi in the dorsal fin).

The fact is: if there is no sumi on the pectoral fin at all, there will be no motoguro. So the fisnished fish will have inbalance in that area.

A great young fish I would like to see pictures of as it evolves,
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thats a very nice showa, but I am one that would shy away form it because of unbalanced pecs.. Bold and beautiful koi though

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick...would agree with your comment....."I have seen so many wonderful showa that have black on only one fin and seen many a hobbyist shy away from a wonderful koi because of that".

In fact, and I know you would also agree, that lots of excellent koi in general, get passed on due to our western mentality of picking out the shortcomings and not just appreciating the overall package. So many times I will see people who are immediately attracted to a koi and then pick it apart based on book standards, followed by a choice of a lesser fish that is technically correct. If a koi lights your fire....there's a reason.

Authur...thanks for the comments. Will be interesting to watch that mid section as you mentioned. By the way thanks for the nice visit a week or so ago.

Terri....fish came from Japan in November as a tosai.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Dan, I think it comes down to whether MikeS is right about the Sumi never finishing on the Shiro. If he is right, then a long term disappointment. If he is wrong, then an incredible pattern. You just need to get her to blossom in size to find out which sort of heartbreaker you have.

When I asked the question on another board whether the Sumi over Hi was a reliable predictor of future Sumi development on adjoining Shiro, there were several knowledgeable koikeepers who said it was. I recall that Art L commented at some length that it was reliable. Snaden has pointed out the contrary. So, maybe it depends on the fish? LOL

.....remember what Dick says. You gotta wait 7 more years to know for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike...never quite heard it put that way

"You just need to get her to blossom in size to find out which sort of heartbreaker you have."

Like your anology....think I'll call her "Heatbreaker". I can also certainly appreciate where Dick is coming from on the time necessary to keep showas. Rest assured she will not be going anywhere except here for a long, long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Dan if she were in my pond I would say that I would keep her to.. Why dont you enter her in a show when she get,s a little bigger. I think she is a beauty, sad to say I am one of those who look for perfection in a koi. I guess because I have purchased so many ugly koi in the past. When I first started with koi I did not know a thing about skin quality, pattern or type I just picked a koi that I liked and needless to say I picked koi you could not even identify. That has been three years ago and now I can name all of them and can pick a decent koi form a bunch of koi. Three years ago I was dumb as a brick when it came to koi, I just knew there was a passion burning inside of me for these fish and I have learned alot in that time and hope I can learn more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smashing looking Koi Dan. So it doesnt tick all the boxes, but it does for me.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast