Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Shiro Utsuri with a Showa?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Spawning Shiro Utsuri with a Showa?

If I spawned my Utsuri with my Showa would I get interesting fry or garbage fry? Anyone that can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Any input from all of you would be great

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rich,

IMHO, I think interesting fry, who are the breeders of the Shiro and Showa, do you know the bloodline??. you could end up with a very nice Kindai Showa
    Kindest Regards Billy Boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Utsuri came from Marusho Koi Farm, breeder Shosaku Igarashi, I am not sure where the Showa is from.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    one concern is that those fry which turn out to be shiro's can carry red that will
    appear later on in life especially if color enhancement food is fed.

the other side of the coin is that some of the nicest shiro's you will ever see come from showa blood and over the years orange turn to yellow and goes away and you have one very impressive shiro..

each year with my pair I get tosai shiro with red kuchibeni but dog gone it it always goes away. If it would just stay, I'd keep one even if there was no hope of showing ( it's technically a showa) but it would look wild in a pond for personal enjoyment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I will go ahead and let them spawn, I have a little over a month to wait, I will send in some photo's of the fry when all is said and done. And I shall keep my fingers crossed that I get some beauts swimming around in my pond.
    RichLane :D

Post Thanks / Like

Question

This may be a dumb question but how many good koi would you get from cross these two koi as I thought that you would only get junk koi, or most would be anyways. Shot guys, as I was under the impression you need to spawn type to type. Would most of the fry be showa? A little lost here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many Shiro Utsuri on the market are by-products of Showa production... Showa without Hi. These can be very good, although the best Shiro Utsuri are purpose-bred using only Shiro Utsuri parents.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is exactly why I asked koigirl, because I didn't know what the outcome with be to breed those 2 together.
    RichLane :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record in the history of color varieties, shiro's came first. Their black really was not all that good. When mr kobayashi decided to cross kohaku in to begin the start of today's showa color variety the black improved. shiros were left in the dust as a variety and it wasn't until later that shiro's again like the phoenix bird were reconstructed out of the ashes of the new showa blood. This really improved their black. My female from Konishi is from showa bloodline and some of her better tosai carry a yellowish beni until they grow out of it their second year. One I have held on now for three years. it has the best white and black and also the yellow is still hanging on!

I wanted to make that point so you understand the background. today's breeders like Omosako and others do cross shiro to shiro.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

So in other words,this would not be a true line of Shiro Utsuri right?

Anyway when you do your spawn,keep us posted and take some pics of the koi as I would very much like to see them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast