Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: How to set up for breeding?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

How to set up for breeding?

I'm looking at breeding some Kohaku and maybe some Showa in just a few weeks and want to get a bit more prepared. Got a 3 acre mud pond lined up for summer, so that situation is OK.

Here is the current situation: have two small ponds (1500g and 3000g) available for initial spawning plus raising of fry. One is clear, the other is green. Both have bottom drains to settlement chambers then pump, etc. The smaller green one has wonderful light green algae on the sides and is liner. The larger clear one is concrete sides (rough) and was recently blasted with PP.

1) Where do I breed the fish and what substrate should I use? Is one of those net chambers, like those as seen on the Koi-Bito DVD, a good idea? If a net chamber is recommended how do I go about building or buying one?

Btw, it would be more conveinient to use the concrete pond for breeding.

2) Where should the fry be raised and to what point? I'm guessing that the smaller pond, with already green water, is better for the fry. Cull at 7 days and then at 6 weeks then mud pond for summer? Screen off the bottom drains but continue to run air and pumps? How to transport the eggs or wait?

Hmmm... enough questions for now. What's my first step?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest a show vat that holds 300 gallons or so as a perefct place that can be cleaned and stored and used as needed. Allow the water to reach a temp
    close to the parents water and air for several days before introducing the female.
    4 days before the full moon introduce the male/males. most of the time if both parents are ready they will spawn in the next few days early in the am.. I like to use artificial spawning net that can be strung to contain the eggs and later disinfected for storage.

other info to considerahead of any actvity to pond prep for the yopungsters to introduce gingo/daphnia as a food source for the babies. timing is critical.

showa are first culled at 3 days and kohaku at 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a small 1000 gallon kiddie pool that I want to use as a spawning tank and was told that the chimical in the pool would kill the fry. What would I use to clean the pool with, I thought about a strong concentration of salt and a little bleach. Would that be Ok.
    I am going to spawn my Gin Matsuba and a Kujaku for a trial run and all help would be of great need. Would I come up with any good fry from a spawn like this or would it just be junk fry. It really does not matter anyway was just wondering. I am wanting to do this to try my hand at raiseing the fry for the experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fill the pool and let it sit for a week or so. After you drain and refill, it will be safe to use. You can check by putting some guppy fry in to test for toxicity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jason, thanks for starting this thread.
    Some of the points already raised are interesting and useful for me.
    I have set up four 1500 liters kiddie pools (rather similar to show vats) in a greenhouse for this breeding season. Each pair of pools is conected to their own filtration system. It will be running all the time. Last year it worked fine for me (I used only a pool with a smaller biofilter+UV lilght+small aeration pump). This year I have included substantial modifications to increase aeration and filtration efficiency. The critical point is screening the intake pipes (drains) efficiently in order to prevent blockage and fry being sucked into the filtration system.

Back to your questions, these are my opinions
    I think you should try to spawn your breedeers in the smaller pond, in fact it is large enough for that purpose. You could also use a smaller foldable pool for spawning and later transfer the mopes with the egss to the small pond.
    DIY a net cage using fine, soft mesh. That will help you and let you save a lot of time and effort. I didn't use it in the two precedent breeding seasons, and what a mistake. You can use this net cage both for spawning and for rearing the fry.
    Get or DIY spawning ropes. Kazuya, a japanese breeder established in Spain cut white plastic bags in strips, tie them in large groups and let them float in the pond. Not smart, but efficient and cheap solution. I'm using spawning ropes. Clean well and rinse before using them. Don't place them in the pond until the day you have scheduled for spawning. You want to avoid buildup of biofilm and muck in the ropes.
    Keep the bigger pond for green water and Daphnia+Rotifer culture. Use a siphon to make frequent water+live food transfers from your green pond to the fry pond. You can move the fry to the bigger tank later, when they are bigger and not restrited to feed on small live prey.
    It is very easy to overexploit quickly the Daphnia culture, therefore you can DIY some hatching jars for Artemia, and of course get a supply of good quality Artemia cysts. Much better if you get decapsulated cysts.

In the meanwhile, try to avoid your biggest pond being colonised by predators. There is a vast array of them (both invertebrate and vertebrate as well) and they can ruin all your work. A single water snake can eat large numbers of fry in a short time. Same thing with some birds.

I will acknowledge other opinions.

Well, good luck to you and other members that might be spawning their breeders soon!

Diego
    Diego Jordano
    Cordoba, Spain
    A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
    pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a head's up on kiddie pools. They are often sprayed by the manufacturer
    with an algeacide that is toxic to fish. It should be stamped somewhere on the
    pool that this is the case. i think Bekko's advice of a test fish prior is a great idea! I'm reluctant to think it might be easy to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one source for spawning cages, also called "live cars" or "holding pens"

http://gmocart.gmotion.com/store/mer...dingboxes_nets

I have the 4 ft x 6 ft, but wish it were larger. A PVC pipe rig is used for buoyancy and to keep the top of the cage above the water level.

http://www.raingarden.us/spawningcage.jpg

I think Maurice said he uses these as well.

-steve hopkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bekko, How do these work do I just set them in the spawning tank and use something to keep them afloat? Or am I confused is this for something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    You would use them for spawning in a pond or large tank where it would be difficult to catch the broodstock when they were through.