Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cross breeding koi

Post Thanks / Like

cross breeding koi

Most koi are spawned type to type, and wanted to know why types of koi are ok to cross and what to expect from the spawn, for instance Gin Matsuba to Kohaku.

Post Thanks / Like
    Koi do not breed true. However, you increase the percentage of usable fish by breeding type to type. You increase the percentges further by breeding within a bloodline. You can cross a kohaku with anything and still get some kohaku offspring.

It a numbers game. The object of the game is to create as many nice fish as you can with a finite amount of space and effort. Breeding a gin matsuba would be like playing the game with one hand tied behind your back.

-steve

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can anticipate that the reason you chose those two color varieties, is because that's what's available. If so ,for the experience on how to breed... you can pair them. The expectation of results will certainly be low. To know what to look for as they develop will be into unchartered waters!

a better odd pairing would be a kohaku to another gosanke

or a matsuba to another Hikari type (mono or moyo) translated that means a bright fish with or without pattern. ie: kujaku, yamabuki, hariwake, platinum.

Post Thanks / Like
    koifishgirl,

Like Dick, I would not recommend a Gin Matsuba-Kohaku pairing: the outcome would be too wild and very difficult to cull for any good results while controlling numbers. In other words, anything good coming out of that pairing would only show late in development.

I do agree with Dick that pairing it with a hikari-mono could be a good experience resulting in Kin Ki Matsuba (goods ones are rare, with Yamabuki Ogon), Gin Matsuba (some, with Platinum Ogon), etc., also a pairing with Benigoi or even Ginrin Benigoi could be interesting.

On the other hand pairing with a hikari-moyo could be again too difficult to cull without a lot of experience, thus risking a lot by having to keep fry too long before culling.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have a femal kujaku and a male beni kumonryu,also a big male that I dont know what it is, it is not a sanka or a showa, or a aka bekko the koi is red and white and black the white only under its bellie. A very big and pretty koi I just dont know what it is. I have a book that shows all the different types but I come upon some that I still can not tell you what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Breed that big one (aka sanke) to the kohaku.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Koifishgirl,
    Do I Have a friend for you......go find Greg Bickal..he has a koi site. He thinks like you think...and breeds koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    The female Gin Matsuba is not a large koi so she should not produce that many eggs and I think if I get some good koi if I have to hold on to them for a while it will be ok as I dont plan on doing but just this one spawn this season. I am hopeing for some kujaku koi from this match.
    Could I spawn my female kujaku to my kohaku and if so what would be the end results.

Luke, I think I will stick with everyone I like what I learn from the different folks on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    theres a farm over here that breeds anything together. im sure that they breed some true lines from their best fish but not always. then theres always the chance of mix ups..
    people get mad becuase they may be buying a kohaku that has come from a different parent and thus making it harder for them to get a high percentage of kohaku when they come to breed it later. it becomes an ethical thing.
    morally right to breed trues together..

the thought of mass spawning is that out of many million koi youd get enough to have some great specimens so you get your money anyway.
    more of a pain to search though, id reckon. more dissapointments.
    i have noticed seemingly higher survival rates when crossing out.

problem is that the purchaser may not be getting what they thought they were getting. as they think the parent were of the same type.

but this is why you guys go for those trueer bloodlines isnt it, and pay big bucks for it. like a dog breeder shows his parents.
    you pay extra for a well known genetic.
    i think it doesent matter if kfg outbreeds if shes only got a few brood fish and theyre different, she will be learning other parts of the hobby and that part.

i know one guy that stopped buying from a farm because they were crosses, i spose he must have noticed an unusually high variation in the offspring.. if both parents used were from that farm, you might be able to make that call i guess. most likely he just heard something.

all the stock i had at the last farm came from japan originally but i dont know where. so the oldest fish there might be true bred from japan. funny how just the thought of such a thing is better to think of. yes thats where they came from.. all those farms and breeders that ive read about on here.. yay!
    anyone want to buy some fish?lol.
    i

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a female kohaku that just spawn the eggs and I used 3 males, one was a blue shushui, light yellow yamabuki ogon and a black one that have an orange belly, don't know if they eggs are going to survive cause this is our first experience and I hope they do survive and see, would be an interesting experience and to learn too, I'll keep you posted, this happend last sunday so I guess we should have fry any moment

ZULMA.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast