Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lympho, to dump or not to dump ?

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

lympho, to dump or not to dump ?

1 of my kois has lympho(sp?), 90% sure. Doc jonson's book says it will go away.

Question to high end koi hobbyist, should I dump this koi ? and or any koi showing sign of this viral infection ?

stan

Post Thanks / Like
    No, don't dump!

Unless your particular fish is so susceptible to carp pox it's getting overwhelmed then do nothing, it will go away. If it's particularly bad then you can topically remove and or treat if required, but this isn't often neccessary.

Traditionally it was held that it went with warmer temperatures, and conversly came with cooler, but a convincing explanation from a respected source was recently given on another, UK based, board that it isn't temperature related.
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    this koi is having carp pox to begin with. It is also showing sign of herpe simplex infection too.

stan

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have pics of the severity?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

aq,
    Sorry I don't own a digital camera, it will be tuff to use my wife's digicam.

The infected are is limited to about 3"X3", on the shoulder. I know stephen dumped his infected koi, but mine is much better koi.

stan

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the question is does it bother you to have that koi in your pond. I know some koi keepers who decide to keep all koi inspite of scars etc and other who can't stand to have a koi around that isn't "perfect". Since it's your pond you have to decide if something like that will bother you. If you know in your heart it will, maybe it's time to move that koi along

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick,

You're spot on about the decision to keep a koi that has an obvious demerit in your pond with your other koi.

I have such a koi in my pond. It was a beautiful 3-year old Sanke that I purchased as part of my first koi school when I started my last pond at home (the most expensive one). Altough it will never be jumbo, the conformity is great as is the pattern. However in her second winter with me she got a really bad ulcer on the side that went unnoticed for a while due to my over confidence in the system I have.

She completely recovered but has lost some scales that did not come back. On the other hand she has grown to 27-28" and lives quite happily. I will not get rid of her for two reasons: 1) I feel guilty that I left her down, and 2) she is what I would have expected of her (without the scar that came because of my negligence, a constant reminder of the requirement to be vigilent---mind you the scar is all in a shiro area and I would have to point it out for the average koikeeper to see it).

I thought I'd share a personal experience.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing Arthur. I have an ake mae kigoi that has a ovarian tumor. It's quite the bulge and is always noticed by visitors who are surprised because the others are in good health and shape. But she has been with me thru everything, over 20 years and she's part of my family. She stays bulge and all.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Dick so you have a koi with an 'ovarian tumor' but still "alive". How long ago since it start to bulge? How long more do you think before she will die?

Even if the symptoms are similar to the kois I described in another thread, it is likely that the disease is diferent. In my case the koi will eventually die before too long!

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone, I want to keep this koi in my pond, even if that means infecting other kois. I just wasn't sure how higher end koi hobbyists take care of the situation.

The infected ara is very obvious, but what the hack.

stan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast