Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stun grow

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

stun grow

After sometime in koi keeping, I'm sure most of us will come across koi that doesn't seen to grow at all. These koi will probably leave our pond very quickly.

I bought a 7 months old Dainich showa at 28cm & a 9 months old matsunosuke sanke at 25cm more then a year ago.
    The showa is now 62cm but the sanke is only 27cm. I'm just curious why some koi grow at snail pace or does not grow totally?? Is there any early signs that we should look for??

SF

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda wierd it should be the other way around. You got pics?

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish
    After sometime in koi keeping, I'm sure most of us will come across koi that doesn't seen to grow at all. These koi will probably leave our pond very quickly.

I bought a 7 months old Dainich showa at 28cm & a 9 months old matsunosuke sanke at 25cm more then a year ago.
    The showa is now 62cm but the sanke is only 27cm. I'm just curious why some koi grow at snail pace or does not grow totally?? Is there any early signs that we should look for??

SF
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds as though you have a fish that just is not destined to grow. Possibilities are: (1) genetic; (2) being out-competed for food by other tank inhabitants; (3) is an old, stunted fish. [Maybe more possibilities?] If it is #2, then you can alter the situation by changing the care your provide, although there could be a deformity that causes the fish to lose out in the competition. If it is #3, then the fish would likely have had a very finished appearance at the time acquired, and a head shape more like an adult.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    MikeM, I think most probably is possibility nos. 2.
    This sanke doesn't eat as much as the others. I'll transfer it to my q tank so that it can have more food. If it still remain pretty much the same after 6 months then I'll let it be a PR in my q tank to keep the bio-filter going.LOL.

SF

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny that I have similar experience with Matsunosuke sanke. I have bought two times, and both times, they are very slow grower. I am sure it was only a co-incident. Now I am giving a third try with yet another matsunosuke tosai sanke. I hope I have better luck tihs time.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kiki,
    does your matsunosuke sanke eat a lot lesser than the rest of the gang?
    What is your opinions for the slow grow that you have observed from your previous 2 sanke?

SF

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Momotaro Kohak and a Gin Rin Marudo Kohak(Joe knows this Kohak well.. ). The 2 bought at the same time and same lenght(5 inches) did not grow equally. The Momotaro is now 15 inches and the GR Marudo Kohak is 9 inches...Can't explain it...either...Genetics seems to be answer to this, but kinda weird you have the genetics and fish still turned out that way.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aquitori,

I can understand that different koi of different gene grow at different rate. What I don't understand is that koi with good genetics but still doesn't seem to grow at all that puzzle me.
    I have a Hosokai koromo that eat about the same amount of food as this matsunosuke sanke and 5 months younger too but it still develop to almost twice the size of this sanke in length. I only need to pump this koromo up and it'll look nice.

SF

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down growing according to color?

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post

SF
    I am old in fish keeping, but fairly new in my experience with koi.
    First I must say that is a great fish, I love all of theme.
    On May 2007 I placed 40 koi of 3 inches each in my pond:
    10 of each color
    10 black
    10 White
    10 Yellow
    10 red

On MAy 2008
    Black Koi has growt to 9 inches the largest
    white koi has growt to 14 inches most of them
    yellow koi same as the white koi
    Red koi these are the largest ones, reaching up to 16 inches
    Also I have now more that 200 new born kois of different stages, I guess that from each spam they survived no more than 20, so I have different sizes, from 4 inches to the smallest ones of 1 inch.
    I was wondering if any one know how to desing an artificial nest for the koi to spam, now they are using floating plants , but is very difficult to catch the apropiate time to save the fry.
    My pond is 18 feet wide, 50 feet long and aprox 3 feet deep.

We live in Quito Ecuador, temp range at day time up to 19 centigrades, down to 12 centigrades at late nigth, or early morning.

Best regards
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Rafrel,
    What a distinct pleasure it is to have someone posting from your home in this world. WELCOME!
    Dick Benbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast