Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Momotaro male koi taking big prizes at the 36th All Japan Show

Post Thanks / Like

Momotaro male koi taking big prizes at the 36th All Japan Show

I couldn't help but notice 4 out 6 kois that took major awards for Momotaro Koi Farm were male. I saw this on their page update today. I find it intersting that male koi which are not usually as "prized" as the females are now displaying excellent qualities; from confirmation, skin quality, size, color and pattern are now winning.

Could this be a sign of things to come?

36th, ALL JAPAN KOI SHOW
    male Mature Champion90bu

36th, ALL JAPAN KOI SHOW
    Kokugyo prize@90bu male
    36th, ALL JAPAN KOI SHOW
    Kokugyo prize@80bu male

36th, ALL JAPAN KOI SHOW
    Kokugyo prize@65bu male

I got the pics directly from Momotaro's page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Koi but they didn't beat female koi. Male koi compete against other male koi in a sperate division after they are about 50 cm. in lenght. in the All Japan SHow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan
    Beautiful Koi but they didn't beat female koi. Male koi compete against other male koi in a sperate division after they are about 50 cm. in lenght. in the All Japan SHow.
    Why the separate division?

Post Thanks / Like
    The separate division is to be fair to males. It helps overcome the reluctance to bring a fish not likely to prevail over a female.

BUT, what is of interest to me is that Momotaro is producing some rather large males with significant volume. I would not venture to suggest that males are as good as females (generally ... there is always some exception), that is an old debate others can have if they wish. Nonetheless, there are strong points among male koi that give some hope that in the future there could be bloodlines aimed at producing dominating males, albeit not likely in the 75cm+ sizes (making that incredible 90bu male koi all the more impressive). The rare male koi with girth lacks the egg bloat that malforms the abdomen and causes a wiggly swim movement. The Beni can be high quality and on fast growing jumbo tosai-types an early finish might not be a bad thing. There are fewer internal health issues with males. Maybe someone like Maeda will produce such a line. Based on the prices for the males exported to the U.S., he already understands that males can mean money.

.......makes you wonder about the females such a line would produce, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a male of same size and volume could beat out a female. But it would have to be a really good male. Here locally at shows most of the show entarants are males probably 75%. My male Kohak won Mature Champion at the ZNA in SoCal, beating out way bigger females..I think in the end regardless of sex, overall quality will always be the deciding factor. Ask and judges on this board they know or should know this fact.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but that leads to females overwhelmingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    back when i was motivated to win shows the two best awards I ever "took"
    RGC and tategoi were with male koi. ( had knowledge not the $ funds!)

The reserve Grand champ was sanke from toshio sakai
    and
    tategoi award ( future GC) was kohaku from Sakai hiroshima.

there have been male winners at the all japan show for GC. But as Mike suggests it's fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

I do think the original intent of this thread was to give credit to the knowledge and effort expended to produce such male koi.....and i whole heartedly agree!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think here in the States it would be hard to find a Hobbyist with a Gosanke male over 28" at a show. I mean of very good quality...Mostly females buying for size 5 & 6 awards.
    Alot of hobbyist are goin down the big female route, but that's understandable everyone wants a big fish. I think the thought of this thread is more on the Japanese side of competition. But if I could get my hands on something of overall quality for really cheap it would have to be Momotaro male, since females command a higher price.
    In the end it comes down to what comes out at a show, so no one knows.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be surprized if male koi of this quality and size are significantly cheaper. P. Waddington says there are cheap koi, and there are good koi, but there are no good cheap koi. I agree.