Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Foods to best condition your fish.....

Post Thanks / Like

Foods to best condition your fish.....

With spring slowly fading away and in some parts of the country slowly warming up. What have some hobbyist done to prepare their fish from the heavy summer feeding?

Me personally, I am strictly feeding a light Sweet Potato paste with secret ingredients to condition my fishes digestition until June. Also, to prepare the koi's liver for the heavier protein to be fed later. I find doing this helps to maintain the shiroji and color while feeding heavy. Everyone is different in habits, but i was curious what people were doing to get their fish ready for summer.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I start with a basic wheatgerm at the lowest protein % and begin working upward (from the 30's to the 40's) When I'm ready to adjust with warmer temperatures to the next feed I mix it in with the old in ever increasing amounts for a week or so before leaving the former feed.

I think small amounts more often is the way to go

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony:

Because we have a year round summer... I only feed Nobori Pellet food from the Japan Pet Drug Co, supplimented with Shrimp, 2-3 times a week for the evening meal...Have very good growth and the colors shine...

I use a kichi koi demand feeder and find it interesting that the koi prefer to eat the majority of their daily ration during the evening and early morning (2-3am) hours.

Aloha! Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Tony:

Because we have a year round summer... I only feed Nobori Pellet food from the Japan Pet Drug Co, supplimented with Shrimp, 2-3 times a week for the evening meal...Have very good growth and the colors shine...

I use a kichi koi demand feeder and find it interesting that the koi prefer to eat the majority of their daily ration during the evening and early morning (2-3am) hours.

Aloha! Mike
    MikeT

because you have year round good weather do you ever fast your fish. How is the sumi on your fish ? does it come up or stay kage?

Post Thanks / Like
    I stick with wheat germ and slowly start mixing in paste foods mixed with SP and clays for liver. I start also using Hi Silk 21 so I don't always have to be the Iron Chef to my koi. Of course with more feeding means more water changes since waste is heavier load. For me I got another month on feeding Hikari Wheat.

Joe

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe:

Have never fasted the Koi...Have only one Sanke and no showas in a concrete pond that was never sealed with epoxy and the sumi is developing very nicely...

Have a new pond which was sealed with epoxy with two Showas, a Sanke and a Tancho Sanke in it... Have only had the koi since December so it's too early determine what will happen to the sumi...

Next time you're in town come on over with Ken and Shirleen and you can see them for yourself. The Boys' Day festival has been postponed until August 21, so that might be a good time to visit...Maybe sell some koi!

Aloha! Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, Like I said I will show up when you guys have your show. Is it a show? anyhow I will most likely cruise by for 1-2 days and then go play some golf on Maui and Scuba as well. Wife says she needs a Vacation and not to Japan. LOL

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe:

The koi show is part of what's called the Keiki (Children's) Festival to show case various cultures...

It won't be a judged show or seminar, but rather an informational show to highlight the hobby of koi keeping to include showing of member's koi and the logistics of building ponds and maintaining a good environment for the koi...

We will also be selling koi if any vendors are willing to join us...Hope to see you at the event... My understanding is that Shirleen will be getting in touch with you and Kevin...

Aloha! Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now my koi are on Hikari wheat germ. However as our weather warms up the next few months I'll be slowly introducing Hi-Silk 21 pellets to increase the protien content. During the summer I feed 50/50 wheat germ and Hi-silk. This year I'm going to integrate Kawaguchi Sweet Potato with the wheat germ and Hi-silk.

On days off I prepare "fresh" foods for them. Both as a treat and to improve their over-all health and condition.