Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seminar invitation

Post Thanks / Like

seminar invitation

for those of you who are close enough to the pacific northwest, I will be giving
    free seminars for the next 3 weekends, and your invited. Next saturday is basic koi keeping. A 101 course for begiinners and refresher for those progressing.the next 2 saturdays, I will be working with small groups and we'll pan tosai and talk about what to look for as the koi grows and changes.because i want to keep any commercial aspect off this board, you can contact me direct thru the board if your looking for directions and times down on the blueberry farm!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Hmm..is it possible to post pictures of the kois used in your classes? Perhaps conduct a remote class for us?

Post Thanks / Like
    What i have found in the past when taking photos to do a remote class is that it's hard to see the differences in the quality/skin. Most look for pattern. i think that's what having a hands on seminar can show a little better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, sounds like a good class. I wish I was closer up there to attend. But sounds like many of koi hobbyist should take advantage of hands on. I know I get so much info on hands on it is PRICELESS!

Joe

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    for those of you who are close enough to the pacific northwest, I will be giving
    free seminars for the next 3 weekends, and your invited. Next saturday is basic koi keeping. A 101 course for begiinners and refresher for those progressing.the next 2 saturdays, I will be working with small groups and we'll pan tosai and talk about what to look for as the koi grows and changes.because i want to keep any commercial aspect off this board, you can contact me direct thru the board if your looking for directions and times down on the blueberry farm!
    Dick--sent you a PM to get details of your seminars--thanks for doing so much for the hobby.

Chris
    ChrisC

Post Thanks / Like
    I love teaching. When i started there was nothing to refer to. Info was hard to come by. George sakai was the first to help me with my learning curve. Along the way lots have shared and i feel i need to pass along what I've learned.

these sessions keep me focused on what's basic.

Chris if you can make the seminar for the basics, I will also do any impromtu

teaching seminar with tosai selection so you don't have to come back again
    to get that part of your education!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm off to put on my seminar. It's cool and rainey in Washington state. A perfect day to be indoors, so I'm hopeful I'll have a good turn out. I'll have a few thoughts when all is done.

I must admitt my real joy is talking about tosai and how to begin understanding what they have the potential to do. One of my favorite exercises is to get a pack of white balloons that are long and thin and about five inches long. I pass them out in class with a red pen and have the stuidents draw a favorite pattern. then have them blow up the balloon to see how it changes. It forces the pattern to ride up which happens in real life and gives relative understanding why it's important to have fairly deep heavy patterns on tosai.

later......

Post Thanks / Like
    About 25 adults showed up and 3 youngster between 10-12. We ran the seminar over an hr with questions and answers. was fun. After it was all over i sorted the last of 2004's tosai and put them out in the outside bins. The Sanke's and ociba's are really coming on nice. I took account of the availbale water for raising youngsters this year and tried to determine which couples we would try again and which we would try different mates with. I have a douitsu showa that's nice that's new this year (female) and a sakai hiroshima kohaku male to try with our Ogata female.

next saturday i will do my tosai lessons for a limited class of 6. we select tosai of the kind people are interested in and we critique them thru elimination and thus end up with the best available koi of that color variety. from my asagi babies i did set two aside that i had hopes for to grow on.

was one of the fastest days of my life, because i really felt in my element.
    gets me thru the week. tomorrow will be rest and recoup with my bonsai interest. I have a juniper that i have been working on that needs a good show pot so will go see if I can find one and get that repotted.l i regenerated my
    water conditioner beads and have them now filtering all the new inlet water.

am hopefull will see some pictures soon of some asagi tosai from hosokai that arthur will be putting out in their grow pond soon.,

now if i could just buy the lucky lotto ticket!

Post Thanks / Like
    That was quite a few in attendance. How are the classes organized/promoted?

Using that new camera on the Ochiba and Sanke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, what a great trunout! Next time I will have to fly up in advance and check one of these out.

Have fun tomorrow on Bonsai I will be doing the same.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast