Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Too Early to think about Fall Harvest????

Post Thanks / Like

Too Early to think about Fall Harvest????

Well I know its spring and most of us in the states have a slow start to the season. Maybe about 1-2 months behind on the weather and temps. But this almost being May... and Fall harvest starts in Mid October I wanted to see who was going or thinking about going to Either Niigata or Southern Japan this fall..

Does the recent quakes change your travel plans? or are you likely to travel to Niigata to support generations of breeders throughout??

Just curious.

for me I am planning on making 2 trips this fall but know I am commited to at least one. I really want to go and support breeders I have seen before.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I am down to go...I mean after I win Champkoi's Japan trip.... Just kidding, if I have the dough then Tony is down to go....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two invitations to go to japan this fall but it's still up in the air. The

weather/earthquakes etc does not bother me just a matter of determining what I need.

My #1 nisai asagi from Quality Koi goes out in the grow ponds the end of next month. If I get

a tosai from Arthur, it will also go out this spring. if they turn out I have all the asagi I can keep properly.

if Toshio sakai can't find me a hi Shusui, I might be tempted to go look for one.
    His shipment this spring isn't scheduled till mid next month.

trying to be intelligent and rational about an emotional subject is a difficult
    challenge. i know of nothing in my life that makes me feel alive then to be in the mountains of niigata in the fall at harvest time. the koi in Oregon would come out in september. in new Jersey, in november. gee that leaves October doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, it sounds like you are going to have a good year in koi hobby. Yes the mtns of Niigata are magical. I am excited and cannot wait to see old friends and enjoy the mtns. man you hit the nail on the head. Its such a special place!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, makes me want to quit my job and hangout there for a year....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never to early to think about Niigata.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shila and I will not be going this year, but not because of the earthquake. If we are lucky, the new pond will be just finished, and too new for the new koi. If we are not lucky, it won't be done yet, and then I have no shot at keeping more koi, as we are already overstocked now. That and our "Honeymoon" cruise in September will keep us occupied.

Now if the pond is done early ....Hmmmm....may have to take a "different" Honeymoon cruise...LOL
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, get it done!!!! I was hoping to see it in August. I don't want to come visit only to find a shovel with my name on it. LOL

I guess if I had an olympic sized swimming pool for a koi pond I would say home as well.

Any new pics or upddates on the pond?

Give Shila my best!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe...Good to hear from you, and will send along the wishes to Shila. Looking forward to seeing you (and your wife hopefully) out here in August for our koi show in Denver...

Here is where we are... which is really nowhere. Test hole, 20 feet deep drilled last week.. hit water at 14 feet. The plan that has been come up with by the soils and structural engineers (yes, it has crossed my mind that I must be nuts....more than once ) is to drill and place 37 twenty foot deep , 12" diameter concrete piers with rebar in them as a retaining wall, and then dig the pond again and proceed, Have had to get permits for all phases, and bids from multiple contractors, but hopefully is all straightened out. I keep getting told that we are about to start, but it hasnt happened. But my foot is to the metal...LOL

here is Shila's newest family addition. Sir Bramley Porkchester, our second bulldog...Egads, now I think she wants to breed those. But I have negotiated a promise from her to wait until the pond is done.. so she is pushing for it too..LOL.. not to mention our neighbors... "Umm.. Bob.,... How's the pond going??"
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    My famous line!

"When you thought you weere koikichi there is always some one else who is a little more kichi!"

Bob, You should have bought buttercup for Shila. That Chagoi is cheaper that that Sir porkchester.. LOL

Bob, when you started the constrcuton did you think you would have to do so much retaining walls?

PS I don't want my wife to meet Shila. She might get bright ideas
    Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)