Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silk Worm pupae vs hi silk 21

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Silk Worm pupae vs hi silk 21

Hi everyone,

What is the difference between silk worm pupae and hi silk 21. I would like to purchase some for my koi during the summer months, but don't know which to purchase. Anyone used them before. Thanks for your responses.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    the pupae itself is a very sensitiove product. it needs to be processed quickly and correctly and bagged properly. you must feed it quickly so it does not spoil.
    Unless you have a large pond with many big mouths to feed i'd incourage you to consider hi silk where the food is more stable. Most who use the Hi Silk that i have talked to are happy with it. there were some problems associated with pupae.

Will hope others will give you a widder range of experiences!

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never used Hi Silk but I have been using pupae for years now. I initially got the supply from a local dealer here who obtained them from China. The quality wasn't too good and they went bad fairly easily. I am now sourcing them direct from Japan. I note the pupae from Japan are very well processed and smells great and crispy like prawn crackers....so much so that I feel like eating them myself! Small wonder that they are more expensive.

What I do is cut each pupa into smaller pieces (about the size of your pellets) and mix them with whatever pellets I may be using. I never had to pre-soak them. What you will notice is that, pupae being very rich in fat, there will be a thin film of oil on your water surface very much like Saki Hikari. You will also see undigestable ?chitin on the surface.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think when you ask most about Hi Silk there is no negative answer. You instantly hear about how it brightens whites. I have used it last season. This season I will start a little earlier. When getting silk worm I am not sure you can always be sure the quality of the silk worm. But like dtbh says you can import them.

PS I would think about stocking up on Hi Silk 21 soon as it seems to disappear on the shelf rather quickly.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

pupae

for those of you who have used silk worm pupae before, is it true that you have to use it up within 6weeks after opening. I just recently got my pupae from ogata (3kg bag) and the label on the bag states that info. I wonder if we can take out wahtever neccesary and keep the remaining inside an airtight contanier coz i only wanted to feed pupae as a treat only once a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, i rate and would recomend Hi Silk 21 but, anyone know where in the UK you can get it?
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino88
    for those of you who have used silk worm pupae before, is it true that you have to use it up within 6weeks after opening. I just recently got my pupae from ogata (3kg bag) and the label on the bag states that info. I wonder if we can take out wahtever neccesary and keep the remaining inside an airtight contanier coz i only wanted to feed pupae as a treat only once a week.
    Dear paulino88,

Even though I use up the pupae pretty fast I still keep them in airtight containers. The problem is that with a thin lining of fat the pupae do get moldy if left alone too long. Some hobbyists store the remaining pupae in their fridge.

I note that the advice is to use pupa as a treat for your kois but as I have indicated I have been feeding them daily for years now at a frequency of 9x/day. I suppose I am in a different climatic condition in Malaysia whereby it is fairly difficult for our kois to retain fat if we feed them the usual pellets. I hope to overcome this "problem" by using silkworm pupae. I have, touch wood, not encountered any problems with this heavy feeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever tried "live" silkworms? I raise live silkworms for my son's bearded dragon lizard. I think I may throw some in the pond when the water temperature gets warm enough.

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to thank everyone for the responses.Joe - Does Hi silk 21 really brighten the whites since you have tried it last season? ThanksJohn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkon
    I would like to thank everyone for the responses.Joe - Does Hi silk 21 really brighten the whites since you have tried it last season? ThanksJohn
    Sure it helps in brighten whites. But so does good genetics, water quality, water temps, fasting in winter and a well balanced feeding regime for your koi. Do I think a you can bring a yellow headed koi to come out white. Not sure about that. I think thats an uphill battle that I am not willing to try. But why was it yellow headed? Also a mudpond never hurts to help the whites as well

Hi Silk for me but like I said. There is a time and place for it. Don't feed it year round. This is when your feeding regime comes into play. What works for your area your pond. Your fish will tell ya what works

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast