Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Heron

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Heron

Are Blue Herons a protected bird? I just had one ravage my pond and take 5 of my beloved koi I now only have one left.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should ask the Dept. of Fish and Game. It varies depending on where you live. I must say that killing it is a bit of an extreme action to take right off the bat with an animal just doing what it was born to do. It's as much you own fault as the bird's. Try buying bigger koi or stinging up some fishing lines.
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott
    It's as much you own fault as the bird's. Try buying bigger koi or stinging up some fishing lines.
    B.Scott
    You have got to be kidding wouldnt you say that 15"+ is big enough? I totally understand that it is natural for that heron to have done what it has. It is also natural for humans to protect his/her loved ones.
    Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they are protected birds and from what I understand a lot of them are banded so they can follow the birds. I would be careful about taking one of them out. If I were you I would just net my pond untill they get tired and leave. I dont blame you for wanting to get rid of it though as we put a lot of money into our koi and dont want anything eating them. High priced meal for a bird and the pain it cause you is enough to make you want to kill it.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pat,
    Check exactly what the law SAIDS, do not take the word of law enforcement. They slant the truth to fit their beliefs. They are human.
    I believe the law allows for you to kill blue herons if they are destroying your livestock...don't forget to word your question to the Game and fish that way....
    "destroying my livestock on my property"

Post Thanks / Like
    i personally dont believe killing the heron will solve your problem. because others will come. you need a solution that will prevent ANY heron from turning your pond into a buffet.

things like, scarecrow water sprays ... fishing lines ... net the pond ... roof over your pond ...

but if revenge was your purpose. thats a different matter, and i would probably do the same. and i wouldnt ask the authorities that/any question IF i planned to kill some herons. (dont attract attention) thats my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    My .02's.....Save the bird some trouble and put yup string or some netting....B.Scott is right the bird is only doing what nature says to do and that is to eat....but then again man has been known to destroy things since the beginning of time, even other animals(DoDo Bird)....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record, Blue heron's are FEDERALLY PROTECTED!in the U.S.......

also for the record they will gladly spear larger koi for the joy of injuring something live. They may not be able to eat them but now you have to deal with a large puncture wound.

so Bottom line is these birds are territorial. protect yourself and they move on....that is until late summer fall when the young of the year try and carve out a hunting ground of their own. These guys are not only brazen but stupid.

They usually perch in the highest tree at dawn and survey the grounds. once they find a level open patch to flutter down to they will walk a great distance to make their raid.

my best defence was to form a grid work of crossing foot squares over the top of the pond some 10 feet high with 20 pond fishing line. manys a mornin'
    i walked out to feed the fish and would spot busted lines and a few spare grey feathers. While illeagle to be in poessesion of, they made the best steelhead flies when tied in the Spey style. So named for the river in the UK they they were first designed to fish in.

manys the time downstream from state Salmon hatcheries I would find dead,floating heron and kingfishers so i know some organizations are allowed to break the law in their removal. At the blue berry farm we have a german shepard that literally runs them off the property....

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally have about 30 nesting pairs within a mile of my house. Haven't had any trouble for about 10 years now when I scared off the last one with a slingshot and some soft rubber jacks balls as ammo. A paintball gun (don't get em in the pond) would work well also. Non lethal and you would know if it came back because of the paint mark.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely protected - don't kill it. Be careful if you get the opportunity to handle it as well. They will turn their head sideways, open their beak, and try to poke both your eyes out at once - very scary! For some, great blues are sacred and mystical. With me, its a love/hate relationship.

Once he has found your fish, he is certain to be back - probably at dawn tomorrow. The scare crow thing will not work for very long - they get used to the shower. Fishing line works very well if done properly. However, they will study the situation and can often find a way around or through the strands unless you have given it an equal amount of thought. If they cannot fly in, they will walk in. Only netting is fool-proof.

-steve hopkins

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast