Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feed to make koi grow big...

Post Thanks / Like

Feed to make koi grow big...

Compared to other fresh water fish, koi digest a higher percentage of starch, but at the most no more than 35% of the protein consumed should be given. If a fish is given more starch than this over a long period of time, then it will develop a swollen abdomen.

If the fish are given feed containing protein that is only 35% of the starch, then the fish will take on unwanted proportions; not so much what is usually called a swollen abdomen, but a swollen breast or a double-pot belly and a narrow tail joint. However wild carp or koi that are very close to the original species or even good koi if they have a strong constitution, do not always develop drooping bellies.

When it comes to koi with good white ground, high-quality Hi and good quality Sumi, which are generally genetically weak, their bellies almost invariably droop.

These proportions in the feed must not bealtered, throughout the four seasons. When the water temperature is low, then protein with a low calorific value should be given and in summer when the temperature is high and the koi can easily exhaust their physical strenght, protein with a high calorific value should be give. If in addition to this the koi are given digestives and care is taken not to waste feed, then it is reasonable to aim for good growth right from the new-born stage.

Should the belly droop, then we need to deviate from our aim of growth; if a feed mix with less than 35% starch in proportion to the protein is given, a swollen breast breast will be cured in one summer, and a double-pot belly will be completely remedied in three years. Once the phyical proportions have returned to normal, then the fish will start growing again.

To make a koi into jumbo, it is necessary to rear it so that up to about 70cm, it has risen shoulders and a flesh-out tail joint.

We do not see so many of them nowadays, but there was a time when a koi was called jumbowhen it had a body just like a toad, very thick around the abdomen; but koi reared this way are short lived and do not frow in lenght.

This kind of body occurs when starchy feed has been given after the temperature has dropped in order to make the fish look chick; it is the result of suddenly fattening up (only around the abdomen) a slender koi.

In my opinion a koi can only be said to have grown 65cm koi kept in a concrete pond of about 30tons grows 5cm or more a year; a mere 2 or 3cm is not enough to say that it has grown.

A well-proportioned koi has well-raised shoulder; the back of a koi with a swollen breast (pigeon breasted) is less well risen and when a koi develops a double-pot belly the back is almost horizontal, with just the lower abdomen abnormally swollen and the fish looks very unsightly.

Old article from Nichirin 91' by:Takayuki Izeki
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right along with food, is the amount of water available for them to grow. Momotaro obviously has it right with his indoor pond that has positioned many a breeders koi into a national fish. KB had documented a handfull of UK koi kichi's who have used big ponds, bakki shower and RO water to come close to similar results.

food and water go hand in hand if your object is to develop maximum growth

keeping in mind that both these subjects are directly affected by temperature.
    The higher the water temp the less water can hold higher levels of Oxygen, and the more your koi and filter need it to digest their food!

remember when we were first beginning this hobby and all we cared about was figuring out how to keep the koi healthy? I think that's what's fascinating about our hobby. You can go a long way with it over basics as long as your interest and pocket book can hold out!

" The Most luxurious thing for me is putting a few jumbo Asagi in my pond and enjoying them!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a Jumbo Asagi for you Dick. This Asagi is about 30"....... Enjoy.....

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL KOI! and in the same league as the Cha's for size, yet still holding great color. Thanks. Now if I could only get my koi to get that big!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick: Do Asagi like blueberries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Compared to other fresh water fish, koi digest a higher percentage of starch, but at the most no more than 35% of the protein consumed should be given. If a fish is given more starch than this over a long period of time, then it will develop a swollen abdomen.

If the fish are given feed containing protein that is only 35% of the starch, then the fish will take on unwanted proportions; not so much what is usually called a swollen abdomen, but a swollen breast or a double-pot belly and a narrow tail joint. However wild carp or koi that are very close to the original species or even good koi if they have a strong constitution, do not always develop drooping bellies.

When it comes to koi with good white ground, high-quality Hi and good quality Sumi, which are generally genetically weak, their bellies almost invariably droop.

These proportions in the feed must not bealtered, throughout the four seasons. When the water temperature is low, then protein with a low calorific value should be given and in summer when the temperature is high and the koi can easily exhaust their physical strenght, protein with a high calorific value should be give. If in addition to this the koi are given digestives and care is taken not to waste feed, then it is reasonable to aim for good growth right from the new-born stage.

Should the belly droop, then we need to deviate from our aim of growth; if a feed mix with less than 35% starch in proportion to the protein is given, a swollen breast breast will be cured in one summer, and a double-pot belly will be completely remedied in three years. Once the phyical proportions have returned to normal, then the fish will start growing again.

To make a koi into jumbo, it is necessary to rear it so that up to about 70cm, it has risen shoulders and a flesh-out tail joint.

We do not see so many of them nowadays, but there was a time when a koi was called jumbowhen it had a body just like a toad, very thick around the abdomen; but koi reared this way are short lived and do not frow in lenght.

This kind of body occurs when starchy feed has been given after the temperature has dropped in order to make the fish look chick; it is the result of suddenly fattening up (only around the abdomen) a slender koi.

In my opinion a koi can only be said to have grown 65cm koi kept in a concrete pond of about 30tons grows 5cm or more a year; a mere 2 or 3cm is not enough to say that it has grown.

A well-proportioned koi has well-raised shoulder; the back of a koi with a swollen breast (pigeon breasted) is less well risen and when a koi develops a double-pot belly the back is almost horizontal, with just the lower abdomen abnormally swollen and the fish looks very unsightly.

Old article from Nichirin 91' by:Takayuki Izeki

Very good info Tori, I have a Hi Utsuri that has a very pronounced "pot belly", and was wondering what I could do about it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    can somebody explain the starch thing?
    ive almost always only looked at the protein % and not this starch thing ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike. During Blue berry season, I always see that some of our breeders left out in the outside ponds get a few big fat overripe ones. No doubt they like them.

in humans blueberries assist eyesight. I don't know what they do for koi, other than to offer some variety

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info! Thnx!
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn
    can somebody explain the starch thing?
    ive almost always only looked at the protein % and not this starch thing ...
    Too bad feed makers dont put exact amounts of ingredients on the labels...but that's there secret I guess....This article applies to making paste food and what you put in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast