Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Crushed Oyster Shell Continuously Raise Kh?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Does Crushed Oyster Shell Continuously Raise Kh?

I am installing my RO and have 2 quick questions.

Oyster Shell is a good Source for KH buffer, but once put in the pond.

does oyster shell ALWAYS increase Kh or It only releases the carbonate when there is more acidification to neutralize?

ALSO, what do you use to REBUILD missing minerals in the RO + tap water mixture?

Is it just the Koi Clay stuff?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koiloco
    I am installing my RO and have 2 quick questions.

Oyster Shell is a good Source for KH buffer, but once put in the pond.

does oyster shell ALWAYS increase Kh or It only releases the carbonate when there is more acidification to neutralize?
    It requires acid to dissolve the shells. Like Lithaqua or similar products. It dissolves and releases GH and KH.
    Quote Originally Posted by koiloco
    ALSO, what do you use to REBUILD missing minerals in the RO + tap water mixture?

Is it just the Koi Clay stuff?
    Tap water should contain some minerals. RO removes those. Mixing should replace. The clay products add minerals and compounds that aren't normally in tap water.

Post Thanks / Like

Oyster Shells and KH Buffer

Oyster Shells really are the best: they can only disolve in the presence of acid (carbonic acid resulting from filter activity): calcium carbonate is really difficult to dissovle without the presence of acid in the water.

The resulting pH will be in the 7.4-7.6 range (in other word ideal for most koi keepers).

Do not use Baking Soda as it will induce wide pH changes.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like

Question G.E. Merlin R.O. Unit

Thanks guys!

I have a lot of oyster shell!

As Jason said oyster shell also increases Gh (Calcium), is the amount significant enough to make the water HARD again?

Post Thanks / Like
    The crushed shell used for chicken grit has a lot more surface area per volume than whole shells. In rural areas, it is usually available at the local feed store.

-steve hopkins

Post Thanks / Like
    can someone help advise me how much oyster shall to use? have a pond around 15T plus 5T filter, thinking of using oyster shell. they're pretty costly here.

Post Thanks / Like
    my brother uses oyster shells in all his cichlid aquariums and more so coral sand. hes got about a hundred so hes always buying the stuff, he says it works fine to begin with but does lose its "oomph" after many water changes, dont know what this has to do with the relationship of acidity. pretty sure cichlids like it hard.

i since told him to use ag lime mined from limestone. can anyone tell me what limestone comes from??/
    well thatd be what i would go with unless you wanted the oysters for bacteria homes as a biofilter..
    though surface areas not so good if your lacking space and if its not prefiltered it will build up with stuff in all its recesses. myslef would go with lime and a test kit to check the level, you might not be able to just throw in a certain amount of shell and expect to leave it be. ive seen it done with success and no one ever checked the pH but thats not to say it was operating within the parameters.
    anytime you change all the water, just put the right amount of lime in instead of wondering. i use about 4 grams per hundred litres and its simple as.

as for the ro water, whats wrong with a bit of salt. like seasalt and not table salt.
    last time i read up on salt i think i found there were about 35 ingrediants in there.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    The good and bad of oyster shell use in Koi ponds. Oyster shells (sold as chicken grit in may farms stores in the US) have there place in ponds, but are not a fix all solution, relying on them may leave you a pond of dead koi. They desolve, but VERY, VERY slowly. They are great as a treatment for acidic source water. If you stream source is low PH (like in a Japanese mudpond), or if your well or tap water is acidic, running this water though oyster shells will get the KH and PH up some before entering the pond. Running pond water over them in a closed loop koi pond will accomplish little. What works in a typical high end pond, say Concrete, large volume, low stocking rates (and thus low bio load), and ponds that are sometimes partically covered doesn't always work in other ponds. That liner pond with a higher stocking rate that gets gets rain all the time with a KH of 0 and PH of 4.0, along with continued use of the KH by biofiltration, is a PH/KH crash waiting to happen. The KH/PH crash and poor QT setup are responable for the most of the Koi deaths I see personally. I also run Shower/TT filters, and aerated moving beds, some of these powerfull bio filters are said by some use "use" KH faster. Before I knew better, I tryed the shells and another crushed coral (said to desolve much faster than oyster shells) in a pond with a source of KH 80 PH 7.6, and had a KH/PH crash about 3 weeks later. I now maintain with KH 120+ with baking soda. Another think to consider is that oysters harvested in different regions may vary in content, so what works for someone with a different source may not work for you. Also the "dust" may give you false hope for the first week of testing as it desolved quicker.

Ryan S.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ph crash in Ryan's pond

Hey Ryan,

What is your stocking level and Ph before the crash?

During the 3 weeks before the crash, did you even change water at all to supplement new Kh?

how many oyster shells you had in the pond at the time?

I just wonder because if you did 10% water change per week, could this have not happened?

Please share your experience

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the time 8 2yr olds (averge size ~20"), two tosai ~4-5" in ~3500gallons. I'm not sure if Graham posts on this board but his experiment/records match what many others are seeing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast