Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Culling Goshiki to Kohaku fry?

Post Thanks / Like

Culling Goshiki to Kohaku fry?

Hello,

This weekend I need to cull my Goshiki to Kohaku fry. Any thoughts on what to keep? The fry were hatched on 4/20/5. Largest are about 3/4 to 1". Need to cull to get the cannibalistic monsters out. Looks like some sumi is showing and I have noticed a distinct difference in the pink/ warm beige skin color for the beginnings of hi.

Any thoughts on pattern development? Hi development?

The parents were a deep red with black matsuba pattern male and a nice deep red and white kohaku. Both have good overall pattern.

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff: I was just reading an article that suggested Goshiki fry are among the most difficult to cull. Until one learns the variations the particular set of parents produces, it is not possible to know how the Asagi genes will express themselves. Other than culling out deformities, all black fry and all white fry, the article gave no hints of what to do in the first culling. So, I'll leave it for someone with experience to give advice. ....DICK: Are you around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your advice was pretty good Mike. Since we don't know the expectation of this cross, we have to keep to basics. look for a red pattern. If it's white like kohaku or showing black already hang on to these. solid colors or mishaped heads get the boot on first cull. The better goromo/goshiki types usually take a while to develop. Every 30-40 days you'll need to cull. by 4-5th cull you should have quite a mixture from those that look like kohaku to those that look like goshiki.

do not try and grade the koi by the color of the red as this will change and fool you.

try and discern a heavy pattern on a little fish which as it grows will become proportionate as opposed to a solid color with no breaks or nose stops. even if a heavy pattern of red is showing with a white nose keep it.

Post Thanks / Like

great advise....

Dick and Mike,

Thanks for the advise. I had a feeling that this would be a wait an see kinda spawn. I will use your advise, and see as I go.

By the way, since I am just getting into this spawning thing. What do you feel is a good way to record the spawning data. Parents info with photo, spawn size, hatch, temp., etc. etc.? So that in the future, if I try to match this pair again or take an offspring and match, I will have some record of geneology. What data do the big time breeders feel is important?

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd focus on photos of the parents and any changes they make year to year. as well as follow some of the babies each month to see the progression.
    I hang on to mine ( a few) for 3 years just to see what happens.