Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why are showas soohard to find?

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking why are showas soohard to find?

ive looked for weeks on internet for a decent showa for a reasonable price. i want something about 10-14 inches and have not been able to find it. anyone have one they would like to sell or maybe know of a website that i could possibly order one off of? money is a little limited and i would like price range to be around 100-130. having that budget is why i havent been able to find "the koi". please help me. PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Fong,
    Sadly the fact of life is "ya gets what ya pays for". You aren't going to find a quality showa for 130 Dollars, Euros or Pounds, not unless someone takes pity on you and gives it as a gift.
    You might be able to find a tosai that will develop into a halfway decent fish if you have a good eye, know what to look for, care for it well and are willing to accept the faults it will undoubtedly have.
    Personally I find tosai showa VERY challenging but very entertaining to pick the better fish for the future. They take much longer to develop but the transition is all the more spectacular.
    Good luck

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are "Good" Showa's hard to find?
    1. What stage to you want the Showa to be in? Tategoi or finished?

2. What is your budget? Price will greatly change your picks of what you want.

3. Bloodline? Choosing something from a speacality breeder will cost too.
    There are good Showa's from ISA, Dianichi....Well everyone uses Dianichi lines, but it's the breeders as artist to produce what they like.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    He does mention a price range of 100-130 though he doesn't say what currency he is refering to. I don't feel there is much in the way of choice for that amount unless he means ounces of silver/gold.
    B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    B. Scott, I am with you, 130 won't do it in any currency. But then it is hard to know what is a "good" showa to our friend Mitza... This story reminds me a bit of a story Peter W used to tell.. about people who would come in with pictures of All Japan Winners and "perfect" koi and ask for those, like they were easy to find. And cheap. I do not mean this as disrespect in any way Mitzahphong.

So what is a good showa to you? Tell us about your pond, ie location, size, how long you have kept koi etc, etc...I know that pretty good Tosai Showa are available , often with a length of 12-13", from top Japanese breeders. But the price often starts at 200$ US and up to easily over $500 , and sometimes way more.

Here are some decent ones, IMHO. Is this the level of koi you mean? or do you mean more finished. These are all between 11 and 13" at the time of this picture, close to the size you said you were looking for. These are our "play" tosai, which we do every other year or so. Grow them up for a couple years and see what happens and what we can do with them. Of course they aren't all finished, or all Showa. 4 of these are showa, believe it or not. Hard to see in this picture though Showa are usually what Shila and I look for. They are alot of fun, but also require alot of patience and skill. They can be very frustrating too, the "perpetual" tategoi.
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like
    well im just asking for something decent. i dont want a messy ugly koi of course but its not going to be a grand champion or anything. im not really looking for any bloodline. i just want a showa in my pond.my pond is about 2500 gallons and i have a few kohakus a few sankes, a shusui and a few other miscelaneous ranging from 7 inches to 15 inches. i am talking about us currency by the way. i just want something that will change as it grows. in the picture poasted by bob winkler is exactly what im looking for. something like that will change the look of my pond. but im limited on money of course and those look extremely expensive. i was just curious about if anyone knew anywhere online that will sell me the koi that i want.

Post Thanks / Like
    By coincidence, I just received this email from Toyoma Koi in LA saying they are having a sale this saturday and Sunday of "baby" koi,

"saturday-sunday from 10am to 5pm at toyomakoi 17721 anglin lane tustin
    92780, over 7000 baby in stock, 40$ to 80$ for baby, 100$ to 200$ for jumbo.."

Who knows what they have, but might fit your budget and type.... Also Japan Koi online is a place some people bid on koi and feel like they get a good deal. I have not bought from either of these sources, but you might start there. Good Luck.. and quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when I wanted a good Ake mae kigoi. had to wait two years to get one.

When I was looking for a good showa myself around 1999/2000 I was having a difficult time finding one.

Price and personal tastes aside, a good anything when you want it is a joy to find!

Post Thanks / Like
    100$ to 200$ for jumbo
    We have greatly differing views as to what is a "Jumbo" I fear

I can sympathise with you Dick. All the fish I like are out of my price range. All the fish I can afford I wouldn't feed to the cats. I guess that says something about my taste in fish of the size of my pocket book (or both!)

B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    By coincidence, I just received this email from Toyoma Koi in LA saying they are having a sale this saturday and Sunday of "baby" koi,

"saturday-sunday from 10am to 5pm at toyomakoi 17721 anglin lane tustin
    92780, over 7000 baby in stock, 40$ to 80$ for baby, 100$ to 200$ for jumbo.."

Who knows what they have, but might fit your budget and type.... Also Japan Koi online is a place some people bid on koi and feel like they get a good deal. I have not bought from either of these sources, but you might start there. Good Luck.. and quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.
    $100-$200 for jumbo would be a real steal or black market price to just unload something...probably they mean jumbo tosai, but with that you can't even get a jumbo tosai for less than $500 at some dealers.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast