Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 162 carp die in emperor's moat

Post Thanks / Like

162 carp die in emperor's moat

In reading my morning newspaper, I ran across an article that attributed the deaths to herpes virus. While this is news of serious content, I thought we might have some thoughts on it.

I post this note, NOT to start a chicken little complex where koi people run as if the sky is falling but rather to get some serious postings on the value of individual q tanks, and what it takes to properly get a new purchase safely into your pond. Everybody got a good handle on it or do we need to review?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick I think we all need a review on KHV, I haven't heard much since last year and with the earthquake it sounds to be put on the back burner so to speak...I know there are KHA's on this board and if they would kindly review the KHV situation again.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not on the back burner but rather dormant as CNGV is not active in the colder winter temperatures. Now that water is warming in Japan and all over the world north of the equator, you will hear more about outbreaks. It is a reportable disease in Japan so the news will be telegraphed by all the CNGV watchers as it appears.
    At this point, it is very important to realize that the virus is spread two ways in Japan-
    1) from traditional 'pay as you play' public fishing ponds and lakes that house both food carp and koi. The fisherman catches both and chooses what to eat and what to maybe keep as a pet. These fish are often released back into the waterways as are culls from some small breeders. This virus was a food carp virus before it was renamed a koi virus.
    2) from farm to farm. Breeders often trade koi or take koi as payment from a fellow small breeders and apprentices so as to be able to offer a wider selection to the customers- this practice must stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you've ever seen the moat in question, it's massive. There was a quip on the TV news here about 4 or 5 years ago commenting on the new (at least to the moat) varieties of koi that were turning up recently in the moat. It was attributed to people releasing their pet koi into the moat as a santuary when they were no longer wanted or couldn't be cared for at home.

The virus has indeed been in Tokyo last year, and temperatures were very high last week. It pays to be vigilent these days, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of a few more outbreaks. The smartest breeders don't accept any outside koi without properly quarantining first.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    I post this note, NOT to start a chicken little complex where koi people run as if the sky is falling but rather to get some serious postings on the value of individual q tanks, and what it takes to properly get a new purchase safely into your pond. Everybody got a good handle on it or do we need to review?
    Dick--I'd love a review. I'd particularly like to hear how the experienced hobbyists on this board feel about heating the fish--how high and for how long.

I am also confused about the ramifications of heat treatment. The point of it is to see if any virus emerges, but heat high enough will supress a virus like KHV, but leave the fish an infected carrier, albeit an asymptomatic one. NOT GOOD, and not the result we are hoping for from our Q-tank time.

What do you all do?
    ChrisC

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep yep and yep.

but the source of the virus could have been an intentional "seeding" as well. Alot of resources and energy will keep after the KHV solution with this bit of news to fuel it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no question that the rush to save nishikigoi after the earthquakes has caused environmental conditions favorable to spreading parasites, bacteria, and viruses. The fact is that many breeders shared available pond space with friends and mixed koi from several origins in the same ponds.

From what I have seen so far, I believe this is especially true for tosai and less true for older koi. Shipments of tosai this year consisted of fish that are weaker, smaller, and some (a small number) carrying parasites (trichodina and costia).

Parasites control and treatment is expected and this is not a big deal (other than a little trickier with smaller fish).

So far, after 4 weeks of quarantine regimen, I have not been able to see any KHV/CNGV in any of the koi from Niigata. We do our best to ensure our fish are disease free. That does not free the hobbyist's responsibility to quarantine koi before introducing them to their prized collection. This is common sense before KHV/CNGV and certainly more so now.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    Arthur, thank-you for your post. What I was hopeful would develop was input on what steps a hobbyist should take thru a personal Q tank to assure a healthy koi to add to their main pond. Would you mind sharing with us what that regiment should or could be?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure most of you have seen it, but it you haven't, MCA has an interesting Thread on the NI board re: a possible cure...

Aloha! Mike