Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hikari wheat germ vs Ogata wheat germ

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Hikari wheat germ vs Ogata wheat germ

Hi everyone,

Which one is better Hikari or Ogata wheat germ? Need your opinion/experience on these food. Thank you very much.

John

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hikari is available in my area but Ogata is not. That settles it for me.

I used Ogata Regular for much of last year and it worked well. I used Hikari wheat germ and the fish seemed to like that as well.

I suspect my fish aren't picky, but I also suspect less DOCs when using Hikari foods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pick Ogata when it is availble. Hikari is probably the best all-round wheatgrem, but I use Ogata because of the chitin it contains.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jason and Aquitori for the experience/information.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    here's a different angle for you to consider.

food should be selected to do what you want it to do.

cold water feed with minimum temperatures. Hikari is wheatgerm based. read the lable. correct choice for the reason./season

other wheatgerm has white fish meal in it. would be a good food for the next step up with the temperature increases. you wouldn't want an animal protein with minimal temps. you would want fish meal if you had a heater on your pond and the chance of temps dipping ( especially in the spring and fall) was not a concern. see what i mean?

many times koi foods are manufactured in the same processing plants. the ingredients are tweaked to the receipe's of the customer. But sources are the same/similar.

talk to toyoma koi about what he does to create daiinichi food made in america. interesting!

please be a lable reader of ingredients, look at the per centage of protein and also think about water temps and what kind of digestion your koi's metabolism
    will need to handle that food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick,

On my bagsof Hikari Wheat-Germ, the ingredients list start with "Fish Meal". The first ingredient listed is customarily the highest in percentage. Hikari is a Japanese manufacturer and going back a year or so in Nichirin there was an interesting interview of Japanese koi food manufacturers where they specifically said that if the label does not say "White Fish", the food contains "Brown Fish" meat (such as Herring. Hardly a low-temperature food!

I have noticed that people of the UK posting this info have a different list of ingredients. I would not be surprised that Hikari would be doing DIFFERENT "Wheat-Germ" products for Europe or the USA.

I can scan the package label if you doubt what I am saying here.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looked at the ingredients on the back of my bag of Hikari Wheat Germ. The first five are:Wheat Germ Meal, Krill Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, and wheat flour. Interestingly, the list also includes gluten meal....doesn't specify whether it's corn or wheat. Dog food research has indicated probably not a good ingredient over the life of one's dog. Just some food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uggghh! Not only do you have to sort through all the different views and experiences, but then you have to figure out which batch ! No wonder so many different opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can just get people to be lable readers and think about things, then I have been successful. Thanks to arthur,mike and dan for their thoughts!

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have often read that Tetra koi foods are outstanding as far as content, but most serious koi people cant get by the idea of of feeding " koi sticks" Why is this? I have been feeding them, am I making a mistake?

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast