Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Airation to bio filter??

Post Thanks / Like

Airation to bio filter??

Hi all
    New to this board and have a question ,how important is airation in a bio filter?Can you have biological activity with out a air stone?

Thank you
    Aqa

Post Thanks / Like
    aDDED AIR TO A FILTER IS LIKE A SUPER CHARGER TO AN AUTOMOBILE

A CAR WILL RUN ON A SIMPLE CARBURATOR BUT WHEN IT'S ENHANCED IT BURNS CLEANER AND RUNS MORE EFFICIENTLY.

SAME WITH FILTERS. THE MORE AIR THE BETTER. iN MY TRICKLE TOWERS i HAVE AIR PUMPED INTO THE BOTTOM TO EXIT OUT THE TOP WHILE THE WATER SPRAYS DOWN. iN MY VORTEXES AND J-MAT I HAVE 6 STONES UNDER THE MATT BUBBLING LIKE A JUCCUZZI.

Why? Because lots of air makes an environment condusive to aerobic bacteria,
    allows water to carry more air as the temperatures rise.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long ago before I started to aerate my bio-filter I measured the oxygen concentration at the first and last chambers of my filter. At 27 decC my pond O2 conc was 7-8 (?mg%) while at my 1st and last chambers respectively were 6+ and lowish 5. I now have airstones in my 1st, mid and last chambers of my filter. Worked wonderfully.

Post Thanks / Like
    aqa:
    whoops was so interested in answering your question that I forgot to welcome you aboard. Thanks for posting here. We seem to have a great mix of knowledge available so i think you'll do well here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dick, you finally noticed that your keyboard was on shift-lock: we now can read you in lower case again :-)
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same reminder at work,Arthur. You'd think I'd learn by now! Sorry...sometimes I'm in such a hurry to express myself on a topic, I just type and then after a long session look up and realize whoops, and am too lazy to redo!

I promise to try to do better! ( you can tell a true friend when they're not afraid to speak up for you own good )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqa
    Hi all
    New to this board and have a question ,how important is airation in a bio filter?Can you have biological activity with out a air stone?

Thank you
    Aqa
    Aqa welcome to the board . Airation in bio-filters is very important. In fact, it's one of the key elements to increasing a bio-filters efficiency. Just something to keep in mind, in most cases bio-filters consume more air than the koi in most ponds. I run 2 diffusers in my pond and 6 in my bio filter. I have the traditional standing J-mat bio chamber. Eventually, I will go to a 'shower' style bio just because of the gain in airation and efficiency.

You can have bio activity without an air stone. Two things you need for a bio activity, media for surface area and oxygen. There's multiple ways water gets oxygen, proper circulation and water agitation increases oxygen levels just to name a few. A good example in nature would be any running body of water, like a small steam. The water movement/flow gives it its source of airation/oxygen. But, for our purposes the one of the most efficient tools we can use to increase the efficiency in our bio-filters is the air stone/diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank's for the reply's to my question and thank's for the welcome.I will be working on a new filter for my 7000gal.pond,I currently have no bio filtration for my pond and I think It may be the source of algae problems I have bee batteling lately.

Pluse my koi have grown qite a bit and putting a strain on my system,what use to work fairly well has become undersizes for my pond.I will add extra filtration along with added bio filtration with air stone.

What type of media do you recomend,I hear biofill or the stuff that looks like ribbon made from PVC.
    Also do you have a source for the jap matting for the machanical side of the filter?

Thank you once more

Aqa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 005koiphen.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	1176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 062koiphen.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	1177  
    Attached Images Attached Images