Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: uv install with the beadfilter

Post Thanks / Like

uv install with the beadfilter

How do you plumb your UV in with the beadfilter,
    I have always gone with first using the pressure of the pumb at its most, so this would put it before the beadfilter.
    The second reason is as drawing water from the bottom drains through settlement/vortex then pumped into the beadfilter, I want the water to be stripped of algae and as UV manufacture state 99% of viruses,bacteria, and fungus etc etc, before it enters the beadchamber. In japan breeders use UV in settlement chambers before it enters the next stage This is to kill bad bacteria accumulated within the waste of the pond entering the settlement chamber from the pond bottom drains.
    So is the UV's instructions of placing the UV after the filter, the right way to fit it. What do you guys do with your UV beadfilter combo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simon
    How do you plumb your UV in with the beadfilter,
    I have always gone with first using the pressure of the pumb at its most, so this would put it before the beadfilter.
    The second reason is as drawing water from the bottom drains through settlement/vortex then pumped into the beadfilter, I want the water to be stripped of algae and as UV manufacture state 99% of viruses,bacteria, and fungus etc etc, before it enters the beadchamber. In japan breeders use UV in settlement chambers before it enters the next stage This is to kill bad bacteria accumulated within the waste of the pond entering the settlement chamber from the pond bottom drains.
    So is the UV's instructions of placing the UV after the filter, the right way to fit it. What do you guys do with your UV beadfilter combo
    Sup Simon? Want som Momotaro BBQ? LOL

Anyhow I put UV after my bead filter. But bead filter is only hooked up to my skimmers. and I only turn UV on 3 times a year for about 5 days each.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like

UV Install

How are you Keokoi,
    Not long to wait for the next one, but if the weather gets any hotter here in England I'l be trying to match Maeda San but in a very small scale.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the UV after the bead filter because solely for algae control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simon,

Since hearing a long time ago, that the Japanese put their UV's before the Bio filtration, it has always been on my mind how it could be done safely on a standard pond. With normal filtration it is not really possible, but with bead filters, Bakki showers, or even large trickle towers it can be easily accomplished.

I dont have a bead filter, but will be putting a UV before a large trickle tower on a small growing on pond I'm building. So my thoughts are with you on this one, zap the water first before it hits the Bio filter.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    many roads lead to Rome and there are many ways to accomplish something in the world of koi.

In japan their settlement chamber is well engineered to trap wastes before it goes into the bio. This works well. The water than goes into the filter is starting with a "clean slate". Water that goes into the koi pond has bacteria from the filter. The UV light is placed in such a way as the waste does not affect it's ability to do it's job.

In other parts of the world water is drawn from the bottom drains and sent to a BB mechanical filter then on to the UV. This keeps the light free of material that could hamper it's ability to eliminate pathogens. the water going back to the pond is basically void of bacteria.

in short, while both systems work ,both have different reasons why. I think in both cases the important part is to eliminate any refuse that could affect the light. In the BB situation it should come after.

UV lights are not 100%. If the pond is out in the open it is subject to lots of intrusions ( more so then something inside a greenhouse situation.) Plus after a year the bulb is worn out and must be replaced. Good and bad bugs will get thru out the system. A UV light is only a measure for control.

I think from other posts our readers know I am not a fan of BB's as Biofilters. I think they have their purpose as mechanical. I would much rather recommend that a bio filter follow a mechanical. But that just because that's the way I learned to get to Rome....without water quality fluctuations.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that road too dick, filtering smaller and smaller particles from the water flow till thers nothing left but what can be killed with the aid of uv. I think the only thing I may add after my system is a "protein skimmer" counter current air bubble flow in the return line to the pond after all filtering. This can help remove anything that sluffs off the kaldness in the bio chamber. Yet another project.
    " I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy "