Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is Kohaku, Loran

Post Thanks / Like

This is Kohaku, Loran

I was looking at aquitori's Judging Kohaku thread http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2258 and the body shape of Koi B reminded me of two famous koi - This is Kohaku and Loran. In a past issue of Koi-Bito, with the young breeders part 1, many of them pointed to Loran as the most memorable koi they had ever seen or the one that left the largest impression on them.

I know that Loran was the only two time winner of the All Japan Shinkokai. What's so special about Loran?
    Is this body shape, with the smaller head, considered more of a classical shape? I don't see many koi with this shape these days. Is this still desirable today?

I'm just starting to learn about koi, it's history, and appreciation so forgive these naive questions.

Thanks,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

another Ogawa favorite!

Dan, if you look at Loran you can see she has wide shoulders. So her confirmation is a little off. Her over all quality especially her shiroji is a stunner.

I have not seen Loran in Person but those who have please post.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    most judging programs hold that 60% of the grade comes from body shape, or confirmation if you will. i think the smaller head emphasised the big shoulders
    and left a deep impression of balance with her pattern. She did win the "show'
    two times because she also had great skin and thick beni. It was a tribute to her owners that a koi could be kept so well as to be able to repeat.

what is hard in the beginning during your learning curve is to imagine the "presence" a koi has in the judging pond. You can get no sense of it from a photograph.

I hope someday you'll be able to see the show in person. It will go along way in helping you to understand.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice to see a proper picture of them so we can tell what they are really like instead if this doctored photoshop rubbish that they churn out. What is the point of that? what are they trying to achieve? may as well just draw a fish from scratch using software if your going to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    This Ogawa bred fish is named Loulan after a chinese city, not after Lauren Bacall as has been suggested. This information direct from Nakayama san, Chuchan, who is a Director and general manager at Ogawa.

I don't think that particular photo of her does her shape justice.
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Post Thanks / Like
    Loran, The Butterfly of the Night. To me this is the greatest koi who ever lived.

Is this true or did I dream it? ( This is a koi that haunts my dreams, up from the depths she materializes, luminous white and fire and those languid eyes. ) I think I read someplace in an article interviewing Mr. Kodama that he fit this fish for show. And he traveled a long way on a winter night to see her for the first time at her owner's pond. She came drifting up in the dark, and her shiroji was white as the moonlit snow. And so he named her Butterfly of the Night and took her to fatten and bloom. She won the All Japan, skipped a year, and he brought her back and she won the All Japan again.

My best kohaku Kimitsu Konino was bred by Mr. Kodama during his koi breeding venture. I don't know what he had been feeding her in Japan but when she got to Texas she would eat nothing but tofu. Kiko has an Ogawa sire, so perhaps she is related to Butterfly of the Night. I like to think so.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me Loran was the best Kohak of it's time...it's like comparing Dr. J with Micheal Jordan...Can you really put Loran up against Sakura Hime? I am sure we can argue this for months and years to come and ending with no agreement. Sakura Hime has won the ZNA All-Japan twice, were as Loran has not won it. I think for a true Grand champion to be the greatest to ever live they would have to win the triple crown of Japan and that is the All Japan: Shinkokai, Rinyukai and ZNA...But not to take anything way from Loran it was the best at those 2 shows on those days it was entered. Loran and Sakura Hime still lives on as parent bloodline. Loran has been used at Sakai Hiroshima and Sakura Hime has been used at Momotaro. These are my thoughts...I think there are very few of us that have seen Loran in person and those people are considered very lucky to have been given a chance to lay their eyes on greatness...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcny

I know that Loran was the only two time winner of the All Japan Shinkokai. What's so special about Loran?
    Is this body shape, with the smaller head, considered more of a classical shape? I don't see many koi with this shape these days. Is this still desirable today?

Thanks,
    Dan

Are the traits of Loran acceptable today? It's hard to say now a days for show? Not here in America and Japan, well Japan is more forgiving than America. When Loran won those Grand Champion titles she was no bigger that 90BU. But if you look at the whole picture it's the overall quality that made her the Champion she is. But if we were to compare greatness we should also consider Takeshi Hayashi's Dainchi Kohaku that took not only the ZNA GC in 92 but also the 95 Shinkokai GC. That Kohaku won both the ZNA and Shinkokai. I'll find a pic and post it later....

Post Thanks / Like
    Aquitori,
    There was no succesful breeding from Loulan, in fact there is a belief that it was during the second attempt to use her as a female parent that she was lost to this world, not sure how accurate that is but she had certainly passed on just a couple of years after being retired from showing and purchased as a potential parent.
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Aquitori,
    There was no succesful breeding from Loulan, in fact there is a belief that it was during the second attempt to use her as a female parent that she was lost to this world, not sure how accurate that is but she had certainly passed on just a couple of years after being retired from showing and purchased as a potential parent.
    Andrew, is it true that some of the Grand Champions, like the 101 Sanke failed to be breed before their passing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast