Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Muscle and girth on male koi

Post Thanks / Like

Muscle and girth on male koi

How do you develop muscle and girth on male fish?

This question is mainly directed at Aquitori, but is open to everyone. I've seen pictures of Aquitori's ZNA Gardena Mature Champ. Upon seeing it for the first time I'm sure many would have guessed that it's female.

I had assumed that it would have to deal in part with pond size/depth. After seeing a picture of Aquitori's pond I'm more curious than ever.

Any secrets to share?

-Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

I have my fish using the "thigh-master"

I should be down that way sometime next week, pending Joe's schedule........

Post Thanks / Like
    Its Iron Chef Aquitori sans secret recipe for KOI..

A litte bit of this and a littel bit of Momotaro BBQ and BAM! any male koi can look like a girlymon!
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    HHHMMM, everyone ask me what my secret is to bulking my male koi....I really dont know.....I just started experimenting with my food and the current in my pond....But honestly I think it is the food I make, which is an age old family secret developed in the late 1990's.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    HHHMMM, everyone ask me what my secret is to bulking my male koi....I really dont know.....I just started experimenting with my food and the current in my pond....But honestly I think it is the food I make, which is an age old family secret developed in the late 1990's.
    Tell us a little more about the current in your pond. I know family secrets on foods are not given out.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    Tell us a little more about the current in your pond. I know family secrets on foods are not given out.

Tom
    My thought on the current is there should be enough current to give the koi some resistance when they swim. If there isn't enough resistance then koi get lazy when they swim. For me at this point I know I can't get female koi to "Japanese" Jumbo Status. So it is hard for me to consider females when my pond is small, that's why I buy males to bulk them up....

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this tread, I just wonder if anybody has never heard about doping in Koļ, some product exist and could be use to promote the growth and the musculary developement wich are forbitten but somethimes used for other animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes, although rarely, you just get a male that looks just as a female would. Three years ago I purchased a nice root-beer chagoi nisai. Until last Spring everybody thought it was female (still do).

However, last Spring Tony and I got to my pond to doctor a fish with a scratch that got a liitle infected. I was curious to measure the growth on the Chagoi which was growing quite well. So we caught it and put in in the measuring tub. Tony was guiding it into the position and went Oh! Oh!. I said What! He said It's a male, sand paper gill plates !!!

We were both flabergasted.

Anyway, one year later this "gentle male" still looks female and would fool anybody who does not know.

And I agree with aquitori, good food and a forceful current (not too forceful) enough to have the fish "push" to get "upstream" will give the koi a healthy bulk (and no fat).
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    Note: That balance diet be it whatever your mix is now for growing or maintance, should be used in conjunction with excercise. This is how you build great conformation. Also remember that if your fish is getting a belly most likely it will slow down in growth, until it loses it's belly. Then it will grow long.