Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isa showa tosai selection for fun

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Isa showa tosai selection for fun

Attached 2 pictures of Isa showa tosai. If you were to select 1 or 2 from the batch, which one will you choose and why? Most of these tosai will finished early.

SF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar05-15.jpg 
Views:	2337 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar05-16.jpg 
Views:	3405 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1446  

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to pick one or two to grow on a bit, it would be the one in the center of the first picture with the great body, and fairly balanced, and good hi. Shiro loks nice.

Downsides.. no/minimal white on the head. But the body is hard to miss. Worth a chance...

In the second picture, the third from the right... better head pattern possibility, hopefully. With a more "Young" body. Both will have future Motoguru, IMO
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure from the photos, but here is how I would go about it: I would look for the ones with disproportionately large heads, a high shoulder hump and the thickest tail area. From among those, I'd select the one with the most appealing Kohaku pattern, with white on the face. I would try to ignore the Sumi, except I would avoid one that looked to have finished Sumi at this stage. ...tough to do when you are staring at a great Sumi pattern!

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the first picture i would choose the one on the top left of the picture.

In the second picture i would choose the one in the middle.

Could somebody explain if these are good choices and why or bad and why. Would be really grateful as i am trying to improve my Koi selections and knowledge.

I have been in the hobby for just over 12 months and would like to move on from garden pond hobbyist to serious collector in the future.
    Greg.

"The target is within"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Greg,

The second one you picked is same one I did. Good choice.. LOL.. There are good and bad with each koi in the pictures, and Showas are among the hardest to pick at this stage. IMO. They change so much. Kohaku is a much easier koi to pick at a young age, as what you see is usually what you get. Many variables with Showa.

Your first pick is a nice koi, no question. But the black is "unfinished" near the tail and finished everywhere else. at least from what I can see. Many think that the sumi (black) in Showa typically finish from tail to nose. Meaning, in this koi, when the tail black is "up", or solid/finished, the other sumi will likely be not as good anymore. The idea being to get all 3 colors all completely "up" at the same time. Can't see that happening with the first koi. Also, the red is not really balanced. it is less in the back 1/3rd of the koi. "Break up" the koi in 3rds and look to try and balance the red pattern 1st. then bet on the black to appear in the areas it needs to in order to complete the picture. Not a perfect simplification, but it is a start.

Hope that helped
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bob, but one further point: If the Sumi that looks finished at first is only over the Hi, then look again and more closely. You may find that it has breaks and only appears thick due to the red.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with Showa appreciation, yet again?

To Swordfish:
    This is real interesting! You requested for these Isa Showa?
    As I said earlier: Showa rearing is intriguing yet interesting, frustrating yet fun!
    I have boxed out my preferneces. More of color balance I would look for.
    All these Showas are way too early fast finished for a Tosai.
    Are you caught on a Showa frenzy too? The aftermath of Maruyama craze?
    I admit, these are better coloration compared to an earlier 4Showa appreciation.
    Are you contemplating on getting one piece?
    How much are these Isa Showa on offer there?
    Suspect has it that these koi are force fed color enhancer before their arrival to your country.
    Those with very birght colored markings may end up a total disappointment years down.
    Your heading titled 'selection for fun'- an option game?
    How about yourself, SF? What have you selected so far?
    Also said on other thread: Showa's changes are drastic and dramatic.
    These early-up colored patterns are likely to suffer unexpected pattern deformities.
    Since March? Over 3 months, have they changed much? Any updates Dude?
    Not advisable to take these my dear SF. Try others. Madison, BK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar05-15.jpg 
Views:	1678 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar05-16.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1457  
    Last edited by BabyKoi; 06-14-2005 at 01:40 AM. Reason: left out boxed choice

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, thanks for the participation.
    These are not future showa. However, they are good for short term learning. None of the showa were bought by me. Just want to hear different opinions from members of the board. I decide to wait for the next shipment.

SF

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Madison,

No I didin't request for these showa. Just a shipment by a local dealer.

I'm not caught in the showa frenzy. I do not intent to get any Maruyama showa at the moment for I do not have a good knowledge about their bloodlines yet.

I have decided to wait for the next shipment. None were purchased by me. These are cheap showa costing only US$300 each. Not to over expect from this pricing.

I agree that these showa must have been fed with heap of color enchancer.

All these tosai belong to a local dealer and some have been sold. I don't have a recent pic of their development unless they are already in my pond.

SF

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry I'm late getting into thsi thread. I really like in the second grouping of photos, the showa with menware* on far right hand side. (* split the face)
    I have always liked in showa with a long way to go plus of the one pec i can see the black on it's what i like it to be at this age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast