Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Working for a Japanese Breeder

Post Thanks / Like

Working for a Japanese Breeder

With the experience here on the board. I know some have spent some time working with a Japanese breeder. Just for kicks what can one expect when working for one? What experience do you cherish most from yoru experience?

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Working for a Japanese breeder

Keo: I would call Joel at Pan Intercorp or Tony Prew at Oregon Koi Gardens. They both know the ropes of the business and have good connections with breeders.

Chagoi

Post Thanks / Like
    Chagoi, I met Joel last trip to Japan nice guy..

Anyow I was looking for more of experiences from the board. Like perhaps Mr. Benbows experiences.

But thanks! If it comes down to it I will give Joel a ring... Thanks, Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the young men who apprentice with other breeders probably have a different experience than those who work on a shorter time period.

Many young men work for several years for another breeder to learn differently from their father.

Joel's name was mentioned and he has had two son's of breeders work at his farm. Both were with him for several years. The oldest son of Sakai hiroshima and the second son of Omosako. Both got a handle on english espeially kentaro
    who is now sales manager for the operation of his father in hiroshima. I owe alot of my technical training to kentaro who after work would spend time explaining things to me.

Many times like all apprectices, you pay your dues doing mundane chores that have to be done for a long period to prove your worthiness to be trained and you are gradually exposed to an education thru observation. Often times you do not get the opportunity for long explaination. Most received room and board and that was it for payment. Sometimes when you left you would get a breeding pair of koi. I know kentaro was allowed to pick several tosai to own and learn from as they grew from year to year. when they had reached their peak he was allowed to sell them for spending money.

My advice would be to go with no expectation. be especially keen on observation. when given a task do it to more than your ability no matter how discusting or seemingly little in importance. If i had to relate to you how to act during your time there it was like how I felt when I went thru the army.
    things were done immediately, respectfully and always to the best of your ability. ( sir-yes,sir!)

my experiences in the army, in japan influenced my life afterwards to where
    everything i do hobby or interest wise has to do with that exposure. You will get out of it what you seek. make sure you give back as much. I loved the people, the culture, the food, the way of thinking. i hope you take away as much in the experience. I quarantee you it will change your life, for the better. Like mickey mouse is apt to sing, "It's a small world afterall!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just say Keokoi, that if I were given the chance to work for a breeder even for a season it would be hella cool!!! I think it is one of those offers you can't refuse if asked...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.