Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K1

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

K1

Is K1 an ideal media to use for the process of bio-filtration? I'm contemplating to use K1 for my DIY 80L bio-filter. Those who have used K1 appreciate if you could give your opinions regarding the pros & cons of this media. Thanks in advance.

SF

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have made the transformation on my central vortex with static Kaldness in a barrel and a floating kaldness in the second chamber, I can see a big difference and my water is now clearer then before. My Kaldness is not mature yet,so I have no idea about the water quality but I suppose that when you see the new "easy filter" with only kaldness as bio filtration, the kaldness must be superior the others.

What kind of filter is your filter ? I didn't find a picture of it on the net.
    Marco

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had K1 running on both my old pond and the new one and have had no problems with it whatsoever and it seems to ''do what it says on the tin''.

I have recently upgraded a vortex to static K and even though i have always had good water quality it has made a difference and the water looks crystal clear and i am very pleased with it so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	4288 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	1463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30.jpg 
Views:	1461 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	1464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28.jpg 
Views:	1189 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1465  
    Regards

Gazza

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marco,

Thanks for your feedback. You mention that your K1 is not mature yet & water is clearer than before, could this be the mechanical filtration of your other filter?

My intented bio-filter is a homemade DIY that why you can't find it on the net.
    I'll draw a pic. of it & post here later. Thanks

SF

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am using only K1 for the biofilter, and nothing else. I have no complaint so far. I think it is a good media, even though in my case, It took quite a long time to mature. Here is a picture of my chambers filled with K1:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi pond filter system.JPG 
Views:	25886 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	1466  

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gazza,

Thank you for showing me a pics of your K1 application.
    Why did you use a screen to divide your vortex into half instead of covering the pipe water outlet with a screen on top? Is it for easier maintainance?

SF

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kiky,

Very neat set-up of your bio-filter with K1.
    So the disadvantage of K1 is it take quite sometime for it to be mature then?
    How long does your K1 takes to mature?

Understand that 100L of K1 could process 0.5kg of food per day.

SF

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    For k1 to work its best. There should be a lot of air. Am I right?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    alot of air is relative. I have known several friends who has been alittle too agressive with the air. i think there needs to be some caustion as you can have
    too much. You might want to adjust it and give time to study effect. Lots of things affect it's ability including square or round filter tubs used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swordfish,

You will see in the picture that i have two 4" pipes pooping up in the clean reservoir and all my vortex units are connected together with 2 x 4" pipe work to help keep a good head and flow through the filters. For me to make have a single pipe in the center i would of had to make some king of header up to accommodate both 4" pipes and be big enough not to slow down the flow which in turn would create a head loss within the filters.

Also another reason is that its great to actually see how much if any poop.debris is getting by and this way all i have to do is have a quick look in and i can see straight away.

John,

Yes you are correct when using K1 as a biological stage of filtration plenty of air is needed.
    Regards

Gazza

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast