Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything better than Baytril?

Post Thanks / Like

Anything better than Baytril?

I was wondering if anyone is using something other than Baytril?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baytril what's that, I haven't used that in years. Azactam is all I use anymore.

Tom

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know of Nuflor, Amikacin and Azactam being used. The Nuflor was used because Baytril didn't work and the temp vet also worked on cows. It worked.

The Amikacin and Azactam are preferred by others. But Baytril does seem to be the favorite of most vets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can you get Azactum?

Post Thanks / Like
    nuflor is longer lasting but harder to inject. thick viscosity. baytril has been around for awhile and most who use it do so as a "cocktail" with something else.
    exactam I like cause it's a dry powder in a bottle and only activates when you administer water to it and then it has less than a week's shelf life. Most of these items have to come thru a licensed vet. For those club members with AKCA trained/certified reps they often have access to meds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Aquitory, there are a lot of products of the same family then Baytril (fluoroquinolone) wich are antibiotics working quiete well agains pseudomonas and other germs. The differences are in the way of administration: Baytril last only 24 hours, so if you use it only once you have to continue with some medicated food (even with Baytril because it is also absorbed by the intestin). An other solution is to use some products of the same family like :
    Nuflor (Schering) that last 48 hours but it is more agressive for the muscle because of the eccipient.
    You can also use Marbocyl ND (Vetoquinol), that last 24 hours and could be the less agressive and maybe the one I would use first (but maybe not imported in USA)
    A180 (Pfizer) last 4 days.
    In fact it depend from the importation in your country, so you might find a vet to help you, but you must take care that all these antibiotics are toxic for the kidney and if you over dose it you can kill your koï.
    If the water is under 20 degree C° (early spring) all theese antibiotics have to be given at half dose because the fishes have problems to eliminate it.
    All these products are used for big and small animals, so just ask to a vet.
    If your vet doesn't know the dose to be given, all these laboratory have a hot line to help them, especialy for animals that we don't cure very often (rats, snakes, spiders ... and koï).

Good luck in your research ...
    Marco

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    www.koi-unleashed.co.uk has a nice antibiotic chart for koi. Good shorthand info.

Three cheers for Duncan! May all who read this buy his book!

Post Thanks / Like
    JasonS, are there show packets for your clubs Nov Koi Show availible? I want to get as many Southbay hobbyist to go to your show.. .

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always had good results with baytril, but only use 10% Baytril, less fluid going into the koi which can only be a good thing.

john..

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a cool vet you can get Azactam from him. Another place is from members of koi clubs. It shocks me the UNIT doesn't have it. Do you need some right now, or just looking for later?

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast