Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Harawake?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Harawake?

This past april, I had an unplanned spawning between my large female golden yellow ogon and some very good kohaku males.........along with a few other interlopers.........I saved a small portion of the spawn to get an idea of what she might throw. After four weeks, the majority were culled. There were however a group of fry with an unusual color that I was unsure off, so I pitched them into the mud with my kohaku spawn to see what would pop out.
    Two months later, they appear to be a koi with typical kohaku style patterns but instead of red, the color is a light lemon yellow on white background. Very beautiful and striking. Is there a classification for koi of this coloring?
    Will snap some pics the next time I pull through the pond.

Kiefer

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds interesting kiefer and i am sure they will look good.How are all you other fry doing
    Regards

Gazza

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morning Gaza

They are all perculating in the mud at the moment. Will probably run a net through it in the next couple of weeks to check on their development and cull.
    Will try and snap a few photos. Guess I will have to take the time to learn koi vista ay.......

Kiefer

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff and look forward to seeing the pictures
    Regards

Gazza

Post Thanks / Like
    they can always compete in the catch all class of kawarimono. I hung on to a ki goi that has an orange pattern on it. has red eyes, white shoulder and orange kohaku pattern. I think that's the fun of experimenting. probably the most striking I ever found in a spawn like that was a black and blue kumonryu. georgeous inky black and blue shoulders where it should have been white. face was nice and clean. Quite striking. Will be fun to see your photos!

for me part of the fun is to watch others looking at koi to purchase. they can't appreciate the fact that whatever it is, it's one off not production so they stay away from it! (lol) rather than appreciate the uniqueness. Some of the best koi I've been attracted to have been the kawari types the likes you'll never see again.