Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Help

Hey People One Of My Top Fish Has Just Jumped Out Of The Pond And I Think Its Dead, It Is Moving Now And Again What Do I Do??

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm assuming you put it back in the pond already. Try pushing it through the water in a natural swimming motion. This might help to revive it and with any luck it will swim out of your hands. If it has been out of the water for awhile then you should probably try to find a way to get it into the water flow from your pond so it will make breathing easier. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable then me will speak up soon.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a few fish jump, and came upon them when they were down to about a breath every 10-20 seconds, pretty lifeless. Everytime, I grab the fish and put it in front of a waterfall or pump return and blast the water into it, and after about 2-5min. life starts coming back. One of my jumpers, now blows bubbles out of it's gills every few minutes, but is healthy and growing.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    She is now breathing herself but very little movement in her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well its good to hear she is alive. Recovery can take some time. Be sure to look for infection the next few weeks.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Callum:
    Glad to hear things are back under your control.

Over the years i have dealt with this situation dozens of times. I have amazed myself has to how many have been brought back when i would not give up on them. usually what I like to do is get them in the water and upright in a natural swimming position. Then I stick a airstone at their mouth and let the bubbles
    begin playing over their face. After they begin to rehydrate I remove the sticks,leaves and grit stuck to their mucus (not before) I then begin to make a figure eight in the water to give a sensation of movement (swimming) and continue this for long periods of time to see if they are beginning to respirate. if they are ,this re energizes me and i continue the swimming motion until they can swim out of my hand. Once i seen them coming around I begin rubbing the fish all over so as to make them aware of their body and that something is stimulating them all over

Once recovered I think and .03 salt is in order to build up a mucus protection.

I have never figured why some koi jump all the time but here are a few to be aware of.
    When new koi are added to the pond or q-tank. When a koi is moved from a larger sized body of water to a smaller one.

During these times I will net the container.

the first Matsunosuke I ever got jumped out during the night and my wife woke up from a sound sleep with that thought in her head, rescued the koi and netted the q tank and didn't tell me till I got breakfast down and had checked on everyone and only after she asked how they doing? ( with a positive response) did she tell me!

For those of you who have not experienced this situation ( thanks Callum for
    sharing your situation so other can learn ) I hope this will make your situation a little easier to cope with. thanks to Brian for providing this chat board to help with the opportunity to share information.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last koi I worked with it took me 45 min. to get the koi to the point to where it could swim somewhat on it own. I have revived my different fish in my days and moving them back and forth until they can swim on their own is the best thing to do. Also since you are handling the koi so much it is a good idea to put some Slime Coat back on the koi, they will help with the stress, and your koi getting sick.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Bad news the koi died last night, the reason for it jumping was that the males were trying to make her spawn as she was full of eggs.
    She was a beautiful asagi!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Callum....sorry to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like
    ouch, it would have to be an asagi! Sorry to hear of your loss! I do hope that others will have learned from you situation. Also the need and eventual trend to
    have segregated ponds by sex to avoid unplanned spawnings.