Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A summer of KHV in the UK ?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation A summer of KHV in the UK ?

hi all

i have recently become aware of 4 un related confirmed KHV out breaks in england 1 at a dealers and 3 in unrelated hobbiest ponds.

is this above average ? has the earth quake in japan and the need to share mud ponds and in door pools lead to a lowering of the guard ?

are we in for a summer of problems , would / should all private koi keepers own up to their koi keeping neighbours if they are caught up with KHV ?

steve
    Clarity of vision is a sign of wisdom

Post Thanks / Like
    How sad. It does no good to panic, but this is a reminder that complacency is dangerous.

There has been quite a bit of talk on koi boards about KHV becoming rampant in the wake of the quakes. The fear being that koi sharing ponds with magoi food carp would become infected and spread the disease. However, that would result in widespread outbreaks involving farms across Japan as well as hobbyist ponds wherever koi are imported. We are now well into prime KHV season and no widespread outbreaks are reported. I am hopeful the doomsday scenario will not play out.

As to the outbreaks you mention, I hope all exposed koi have been destroyed and the ponds/systems completely sterilized. If not, I think British koikeepers have more to fear from their neighbors than Japanese imports.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi mike

not all have been culled , one wants to continue with the survivors and at this point has only informed a few friends . they recenty bought ( last yr ) several new koi and some finished koi from private collections to balance this they sold 8 koi this yr privatly. these buyers have not yet been imformed.

there has been talk around the boards relating to a consolodator in japan who recently shipped KHV koi to china and S. africa. ?

steve

Post Thanks / Like
    What!! It is completely irresponsible of these people to not tell everyone who received fish from them. Those folks may or may not have a problem, but should be warned so they do not spread it further by giving away fish or lending their equipment to others. I also consider it wrong-headed to save the survivors. We now know that survivors harbor the virus and can infect any other fish that come in contact with them. These misguided folks will end up doinf a favor for someone, and inadvertantly spread the disease. If they are going to house survivors, they should post their entire property as a KHV hot zone so nobody enters unaware. ....This is how the hobby will be devastated.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi mike ,

my point exactly, all the new koi were added prior to the others being sold so they all shared space for a few months.

they are reluctent to cull or advise the new owners due to advise recieved from a respected koi health consultant.

the advise given was that KHV is not passed between koi unless there is a current out break and carriers and non carriers can live ok until events ( stress / temp etc ) trigger an out break. they also believe that their survivors are now imune and will not catch again but are carriers.

as I asked above are we all playing with our cards on the table ?

steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Survivors of such an outbreak are called carriers. which means they will infect other koi. all must be destroyed and everything disinfected.

I can name the UK dealer and also the distributor from Japan who supplied him.
    But it doesn't settle anything other to acess blame.No one deliberately sets out to ruin another's past time or their business.

here's the straight skinny. Buy from dealers who have q tanked the koi. Q tank the koi yourself. this means a period of time ( 7-10 days of temps over 76 F )
    to force any KHV present. I wash my hands constantly and disinfect nets and shoes/boots. Clothing is clean everyday.

When koi are stressed from crowding, earthquakes etc the chances are increased for exposure and suseptibility. Benching crews for shows have the added responcibility not to infect other koi thru cross contamination. No convenient nets dripping into the neigbor's container. those who measure need to disinfect their hands and change gloves. Measuring tubs where we used to just change the plastic liners need to be disinfected with each load of koi. This will not go away or be taken lightly for many years.

please no chicken little's that announce the sky is falling an quit buying koi and showing koi. this will only weaken the industry. Everyone needs to be responsible to know what to do to avoid KHV. It will take more time and be more costly. Lots of things are going that way in life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Human nature ( cheapness, greed and stupidity) are the cause of KHV spread.

It needs to be made reportable, worldwide, and mop the floor when its found.
    People are too greedy and ignorant to handle the situation in a proper manner, themselves.

Look at AIDS ? Pooor so and so... I agreed.... in 1988..
    Now ? Yeah right ! B00Bzzz !

"I cant affawd a quarantine tank and heater"

Find another hobby. Like collecting stamps ( used, of course)

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, you always have a way of cutting thru the rhetoric and telling it like you see it. I think you'd make a great sports announcer on national TV!

Post Thanks / Like
    But Dick !
    I'd be carried off !
    Remember Howard Cosell and his OJ statement, back in the mid seventies ?
    LOL

BTW.. Cosell was one of my favorites.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...5/95pass13.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    hi dick / mike

are we sure that Q/T at 22c + will always draw it out , some say that temp is essential but only part of the equation , you still need a trigger ie stress or poor water quality etc all things we try to aviod in QT also the introduction of other koi can be a trigger after a successful QT.

ref here :- paula reynolds artical in the health section

http://www.bkks.co.uk/

and whilst ever koi keepers harbour KHV and won't cull or own up then it will surly spread.

as for the shipper and retail out let he is local to me and often holds auction of koi on a saturday when koi were rec'd on the thursday saying the QT was done prior to shipping ?

still very unhappy with the info i have

steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast