Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth

Post Thanks / Like

Growth

We talked about your largest koi in the thread below. How about what is the most growth you got out of a koi in YOUR POND in one year. My pond will be up and running for one year next month. One of the test koi was a yamabuki ogon. I was getting good growth out of it so I kept it in the pond. The koi has put on 10" since it went in. I had one other one I was getting better growth out of, but it hit it head jumping out of the water for food. So I removed it from the pond. I'm sure I would have got even more growth out of that koi. This is another koi I'm getting some good growth out of. I pulled it out yesterday and it put 3" on since it went into the pond. I will have to see how long I have had this showa. It's hasn't been all that long.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I gave Akinosan a Yamabuki Ogon earlier this year. It meassured 15" and now it is 20" and that is since Feb.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can usually get tosai acquired in February or March to gain 14"-16" over a year. Then they slow down a great deal. I have not tried the so-called jumbo tosai that are already 18"-20". I doubt they would grow as rapidly during their second season, but some day I'll give it a try & see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike can you tell us a little more about your pond, stocking levels, food, water changes, water temps, or any other things that you think can add to growth.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The main factor is simply being in Central Florida. My early morning water temps are typically in the mid-60sF during the "winter". During an extended cold spell, maybe down to 57F for a night. Most days the temps rise, so even in "winter" the fish experience 70ish warmth. By March, water temps are well into 70sF and do not go below 70F until mid-December.

The second factor in my opinion is water changes... keeping pheromones/hormones low. On my old pond I stocked at a rate of about 1 koi per 300 gallons. I considered it over-stocked. I was doing 50% water changes weekly. On the new pond we'll see what kind of growth can get. It is stocked at about 830 gallons per koi and I am doing approx. 30% water change cumulatively over the course of a week.

No special food. I feed a mix of pellets, using high protein foods in the May thru October time period. Brands: Hikari, Azoo, Tetra, Medicarp... and others from time to time. When I can get it, there is a sinking pellet produced cooperatively for the Niigata koi farmers which is very high protein... sometimes called "Niigata Breeders Blend". Not to be overlooked: algae in the old pond. The koi grazed nearly all day. The new pond will take a year to establish a healthy growth of algae.

Warmth; clean, fresh water; and abundant, good food.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    My best growth achieved has to be this Momotaru kohaku.

Date of birth April 03.

Purchased her on April 04 at 40 cm and has been in my pond since. Measured her 2 weekends ago at 70cm.

Attached is her photo.

Regards,

dtbh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momo Nisai.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	1486  

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi doc, it sure doesnt show any sign of slowing down yet .. good and thick beni and the shoulder shiroji is stressed out in blood shot or just the picture maybe.

I think wt good water management and genetic, excellent grwoth rate is achievable. The concern is by growing too fast we often failed to maintain skin quality, espc the red on kohaku. I would like to know what kind of method you use for maintaining the quality of red (Do you use spirulina, exposure to sunlight, or others?)

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paulino88, to be frank I really don't know. What I can tell you is what I have experienced and how I maintain my pond.

My pond is relatively small (20 tons) and my filter is big (150% of surface area). I have a total of 360W airpump servicing the pond. I change 10% water daily. About 40% of my pond is exposed to sunlight. I used to feed only non-spirulina pellets with silkworm pupae, and since I acquired a Sakai Rose kohaku, which was pampered by the previous owner with an extremely "tasty" spirulina pellets (she just "refused" my usual feeds), I have since been using the said spirulina-based pellets. From personal observation I did not see any noticeable difference on beni whether I used spirulina-based pellets or not.

We were told the usual factors to improve on beni are colour food and sunlight. I personally feel strongly that a good environment and lots of aeration (hence healthier kois?) play a part. It makes sense as healthy kois have better sheen and lustre.

dtbh

Post Thanks / Like
    dtbh: That much growth on a koi already 40cm is pretty good, I think. She sounds destined for jumbo. Got a pic?

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike

The attached photo in my earlier posting was taken in Jan 05. She was adopted by a friend 2 weeks ago when she was measured prior to being bagged. Unfortunately I did not take a photograph then. Sorry, Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast