Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injection doses

Post Thanks / Like

Injection doses

I just wanted to get opinions on whether a prescrided dose should be reduced when injecting more that one type of antibiotic at the same time.

For example, if I was injecting only Baythril and the dose required is 1cc, should I reduce that dose if I was to inject a combination of Baythril and Azactam?

Also, how do injections affect the koi's liver?

Thanks in advance.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Duncan's book and www.koi-unleashed.co.uk

There is an antibiotic chart at the website. The book probably has a bunch of info too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great referral jason....I have a lot of respect for that man's knowledge regarding koi health! genuine good guy too!

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should not combine the 2 anti-biotics at the same time. Try to use Baytril first, if this med is not working, use the other.
    KN

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TategoiKohaku
    You should not combine the 2 anti-biotics at the same time. Try to use Baytril first, if this med is not working, use the other.
    KN
    My understanding was, as long as the medicines are for different bacteria strains such as gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, then it's ok to use different medications at the same time.

How about some KHA input.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    KHAs tend to leave the exact antibiotic used up to the vet doing the scrip. We'll also use Nick Saint-Erne's book as reference material (vets like that a vet wrote that book, I think).

Combination of Amikacin and Azactam (actually two different shots) is pretty common. Baytril is usually done as a first go followed by something else (Amikacin, Nuflor, etc) as a second round if Baytril didn't help. Nexcel looks promising from the description on the chart, but I don't know of anybody using it.

IF I was looking at a combination of Amikacin and Baytril I'd hit Baytril on days 1 & 2, and if no improvement I'd do combo on day 3 then day 5 and hope for best. Do one more Baytril on day 7.

However, your vet may want to bypass Baytril and go with a different combo if there is no improvement by day 4. Gotta be fluid with these things...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS
    Check out Duncan's book and www.koi-unleashed.co.uk

There is an antibiotic chart at the website. The book probably has a bunch of info too.
    Thanks for the website info Jason - It has a lot of good info. The antibiotic dose chart in this site is the one that I have been looking for.

--Dinh

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that the chart info is from the Advanced Koi Care book. Also a very good book for some things.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi erwinsan,
    I agree with JasonS that Vet combines 2 meds (Amikacin and Azactam) and it works sometimes. However, speaking from experience, I had fish died with the combined med. So like JasonS said go with Baytril as the first round and try Amikacin if Baytril does not work.
    KN

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi erwinsan,
    One thing I forgot to mention. Amekacin is very hard to the koi's kidney. I saved my favorite kohaku wit Amekacin, but the koi died later on due to the kidney failure.
    KN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast