Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NorCal weather for feeding.

Post Thanks / Like

NorCal weather for feeding.

Just wanted to know among us who live here in NorCal who is feeding 40% or more protein to their fish?

The reason I am asking is because I have heard alot of people having problems with their fish this year being the temps have been up and down from week to week. The weather this time last year was in the high 80's to mid 90's....Since the weather is not consistant yet I was wonder who was feed straight 40% or higher feed now.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a greenhouse so my temps haven't dipped below 70F for a while, so your milege may vary...

I've already gone through a 5Kg bag of 42% protein food and a little bit of paste. But I'm using a 15Kg bag of 36% protein wheat germ food for staple food at the moment, even though water temps are in mid 70s very consistently. This weekend my water temps might hit 80F again, just like with the last batch of warmer weather.

The Q-pond, which just houses some 'cull' koi and a bunch of goldfish at this time is outside so they're still getting wheat germ. Haven't bothered to check water temp on them since the remote thermometer probe broke early this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    My water temps haven't been below 68 for about 2 months or so, I have been feeding Hi-Protien food for about half of that, no problems at all, I have heard of others having problems though, maybe I am lucky Right now my temps are from 74-80. I have been feeding very heavily to, 4-7 times a day depending on how much I am here. About 2 full hadfulls each feeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    As close as SJ is to Santa Cruz the Micros climate here is intense. We can have a 75 degree day and have it dip down below 50's at night. I havent been feeding all that much water temp still at 62 in morning and 65 during day.

I think it time to invest in a heater...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joe!
    Try to find a Solar unit that you don't have to take a loan out for, and I'll join you. I've been looking but no joy yet!
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Hey Joe!
    Try to find a Solar unit that you don't have to take a loan out for, and I'll join you. I've been looking but no joy yet!
    I have thought in depth about building one, I guess I should experiment with one and market it???????????????? They are really simple to build as well.

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Hey Joe!

Still gotta take a loan out because to add one I gonna have to redo the roof as well. Might as well get solor for the whole house. Photovotaics(sp?) is the way to go....

Joe

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just brought down my pool solar heater for home improvement. Maybe I should just connect that damn thing to my pond. That heat is capable of heating a 30G pool to 95F in the summer, with pool cover, and in 3 hr.

stan

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great minds (or was that insane... I forget) think alike!

After a wonderful 25th anniversery of the CKC club meeting at a Pauline's recently remodeled home that has a bunch of solar panels, I ended up contacting her solar provider and signing up for my own set. I was already in the market, but it certainly paid to shop around.

Not too stiff a price. Cheaper than a 30" show quality Kohaku I recently took a liking to but more expensive than my car.

3.3Kw (4K DC) while sun is shining, about 540 Kwh per month average (more in summer, less in winter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan
    I just brought down my pool solar heater for home improvement. Maybe I should just connect that damn thing to my pond. That heat is capable of heating a 30G pool to 95F in the summer, with pool cover, and in 3 hr.

stan

Stan, you should throw it away I can haul it for free for you.

Jason care to share the business name of our treasure find?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast