Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: So many koi foods! Which one?

  1. #1
    Jumbo jnorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    So many koi foods! Which one?

    I was wondering if you guys that have used many different types
    of koi food could rate these for use for summer growing? Or just
    a general description of best use. Also if you have any tips on
    supplemental feeding you could add that would be great as well.
    Thanks!

    Hi Silk
    Ogata Special
    Tetra
    Yamakoshi
    Chengro
    Hikari
    Hai Feng
    Nobori
    Yokozuna
    Sho Koi
    Dainichi
    Mazuri
    Momotaro (even though its not available here in the USA)
    Koi-Unit

    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

  2. #2
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    I was wondering if you guys that have used many different types
    of koi food could rate these for use for summer growing? Or just
    a general description of best use. Also if you have any tips on
    supplemental feeding you could add that would be great as well.
    Thanks!

    Hi Silk
    Ogata Special
    Tetra
    Yamakoshi
    Chengro
    Hikari
    Hai Feng
    Nobori
    Yokozuna
    Sho Koi
    Dainichi
    Mazuri
    Momotaro (even though its not available here in the USA)
    The best for growing hands down is Hi-Silk, I'll leave the Momotaro feed to our European and Asian board members...But since we don't Momotaro food, Hi Silk is the best if your looking to grow fish. I rank Hi-Silk number #1 in the states. Chengro, Yamakoshi and Mazuri haven't used it and probably never will.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

  3. #3
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, from my own experience the ones with good results: hisilk, saki hikari higrow, momotarou and hikari excel.

    Bad results: nozomi.

    Never try other brands than the above mentioned. Currently i m using the saki hikari higrow and hisilk combo.

    As supplement, i have tried silkworm pupae and my kois liked munching 'em real good. However, down side is messy in term noticable 'shit' produced and remains of the pupae skins floating on the surface. Thats why i switch to hisilk as replacement.

    I would like to try ogata wheatgerm as soon as i runout of hisilk. Purpose is to give koi moderation in their diets, has anyone used ogata wheatgerm before ? How it is compared to hikari wheatgerm ?

  4. #4
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino88
    I would like to try ogata wheatgerm as soon as i runout of hisilk. Purpose is to give koi moderation in their diets, has anyone used ogata wheatgerm before ? How it is compared to hikari wheatgerm ?
    If I had my choice of wheatgrem I would use Ogata. Had great results with Ogata last year and it contains ingredients I am looking for to maintain the fish.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

  5. #5
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    If I had my choice of wheatgrem I would use Ogata. Had great results with Ogata last year and it contains ingredients I am looking for to maintain the fish.
    I am thinking Ogata wheatgerm is also less expensive.. Not a bad price for High quality food and its made in Japan....
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

  6. #6
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    If I had my choice of wheatgrem I would use Ogata. Had great results with Ogata last year and it contains ingredients I am looking for to maintain the fish.
    Hi Aq, could you explore a bit more on the 'ingredients I am looking to maintain the fish' part. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    I am thinking Ogata wheatgerm is also less expensive.. Not a bad price for High quality food and its made in Japan....
    Keo, fyi hikari and ogata wheatgerm here (Indonesia) cost around $25 and $35 respectively. Both quoted price per 5kg bag. Hmmnn anyone care to share conspiracy theory on hikari products distribution in the US

  8. #8
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino88
    Hi Aq, could you explore a bit more on the 'ingredients I am looking to maintain the fish' part. Thanks.
    Ogata contains chitin and garlic. These ingredients help maintain the liver and helps the skin stay healthy.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

  9. #9
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, I would not want to rely on any one pellet as a complete food.

    Second, the age of the food may be more important than the brand or detail of the content. You might rank these according to your own criteria, but the first in your ranking may be worse than the last if the last was made a week ago and the "first" has been on a shelf in one hot warehouse after another since May, 2004. As a result, high priced specialty foods that do not sell quickly need to be selected with some care. High volume foods that move off the shelves quickly may [emhasize: "maybe"] be very fresh. It is quite a challenge when dates of production are not available. You end up having to place faith in the source. If you see the source cutting corners on things, you are likely right to assume that they cut corners on pellets. And, no matter what you get, do not store it in a hot garage. The vitamin content, and benefits of everything you researched so carefully to obtain, are quickly degraded.
    I have tried several on your list, but am not familiar with Chengro or Yamakoshi. I would not use Mazuri. I think if you check the label you will find Mazuri is high in corn content, not a preferred ingredient. Sho-Koi is subject to a lot of debate because a major source of its protein is feathermeal. It is thought that animal protein should be from fish and crustacean sources, not mammal or bird sources. However, I have used it as one of several pellets in a mix. The fish liked it and they grew well. It has one of the mushroom extracts that seem to enhance immune response according to some studies. I have not used it for some time simply because I've been using other foods.

    One not on your list is the relatively inexpensive Azoo growth formula, which contains beta glucan, another immune system catalyst. It has begun to print ingredients in English, and they compare well to higher priced brands. I think it is a good basic pellet around which others can be assembled. I do not have it at the moment, but likely will be using it again at some point.

  10. #10
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino88
    Keo, fyi hikari and ogata wheatgerm here (Indonesia) cost around $25 and $35 respectively. Both quoted price per 5kg bag. Hmmnn anyone care to share conspiracy theory on hikari products distribution in the US

    WOW! its like triple the price here.. Ogata wheat Germ it is then. Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mizuho koi foods
    By rekoil10000 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
  2. Koi Foods - proteins and carbohydrates
    By Chris Neaves in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 02:42 AM
  3. Regarding Koi foods.....
    By BobinCA in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
  4. Sick Koi and Medicated Foods....
    By adreamer2 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 03:02 PM
  5. Koi foods
    By callum in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com