Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think?

Pictured is a Sakai Hiroshima Shiro, it was purchased by me. Shiro's head is very dark, I just wanted to see how much clearing the head will do as it grows. I know realisticly the head has a 99.9% chance of clearing but what hell, price was cheap to study bloodline.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    For such a young fish isn't the sumi very dark?

I've read that for some breeders, the sumi develops, receeds and then re-emerges. Is that what Sakai Hiroshima shiro are known to do?

-Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcny
    For such a young fish isn't the sumi very dark?

I've read that for some breeders, the sumi develops, receeds and then re-emerges. Is that what Sakai Hiroshima shiro are known to do?

-Dan
    Omosako shiros are known for that...But from reading some of the articles in Bito on Omosako, their shiro lines are based on the Sakai Hiroshima shiro...I just wanted to see if the head will clear up.....If not it is goin to Akinosan's pond hahahahahaha...

Post Thanks / Like

Fraternal twins?

That sure looks alot like my little 5" shiro did when I picked him out. He started our w/ very dark sumi and head as well. Now he is a yellow-headed ugly fiend (see where question about yellowing effects of color-enhancing foods may have come from now? ) Have had him for about a month now - got him from Southwest Koi & Goldfish during Louisville show. I sure hope that the black comes, goes, and comes back and his head clears out . 2nd set of pix at night with a flash so he looks hideous. He looks a little different every day right now. Is this typical?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little shiro 2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	1538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little shiro 3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	1539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little shiro 4.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	1540  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    That sure looks alot like my little 5" shiro did when I picked him out. He started our w/ very dark sumi and head as well. Now he is a yellow-headed ugly fiend (see where question about yellowing effects of color-enhancing foods may have come from now? ) Have had him for about a month now - got him from Southwest Koi & Goldfish during Louisville show. I sure hope that the black comes, goes, and comes back and his head clears out . 2nd set of pix at night with a flash so he looks hideous. He looks a little different every day right now. Is this typical?
    Looks to be Omosako Shiro...The yellowing looks consist on the fish, so it should clean up later again. Probably need to cut back on the color food in the mean time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely an ugly fish, Jen. But, don't give up on it. Needs a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jen, Your fish is almost Ki-Utsuri But anyhow the yellow looks liek it through out the body. You can bring this back and may take ou through to next spring. Also what are you water temps. Temps play a role in the sumi disappearing as well. Another thought is how much have you been feeding?

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Pictured is a Sakai Hiroshima Shiro, it was purchased by me. Shiro's head is very dark, I just wanted to see how much clearing the head will do as it grows. I know realisticly the head has a 99.9% chance of clearing but what hell, price was cheap to study bloodline.

I think you werent feeling godo that day or had your shades on... AH AHAHAH! Anyhow Pecs will clean up and tighten up for sure. This little guy I have no doubt you can buidl the body up. The thing is with that said will the Sumi spread out into a balanced koi. I think so bu that dirty head really throws it off. I think if anyone can clean it up I think perhaps your the one up to the challenge. Makes me think that we need a mudpond in our area so we can study things like this..

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Jen, Your fish is almost Ki-Utsuri But anyhow the yellow looks liek it through out the body. You can bring this back and may take ou through to next spring. Also what are you water temps. Temps play a role in the sumi disappearing as well. Another thought is how much have you been feeding?

Joe
    Temp has been between 74-76 until the past couple of days: water was up 81 this afternoon. It's been nasty hot around here for about a week. Been feeding combo of Hai Feng quick grow and Hikari Gold, have Ogata wheat germ on order to cut it. Feeding 3 - 4x a day when home, otherwise 2x. Also, PH is usually high, between 8-9.0, unfortunately.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Never have Sakai Utsuri - But seems like it will be very heavy sumi utsuri to me
    unless under good care by koi master like master Aquitori.

The tail is very think to me. Normally, I bypass all kois I love but have
    think tail. Anyway, it is a good koi for your study.

--Dinh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast