Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing koi with the intent of????

Post Thanks / Like

Purchasing koi with the intent of????

What are the reasons you purchase koi?

Is it the intent to show? just something you want to see in your pond?, To learn different bloodlines and how they develop?, Or just plain something to kick back to watch in your pond in your backyard paradise.. Anything else??

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    What are the reasons you purchase koi?

Is it the intent to show? just something you want to see in your pond?, To learn different bloodlines and how they develop?, Or just plain something to kick back to watch in your pond in your backyard paradise.. Anything else??

Joe
    We purchase koi on there beauty, and to see what the future holds for them in our pond enviroment. We are able to learn about our ponds enviroment and what the koi need to grow and develop to it full potential. It is a learning process for us the moment we purchase one. We always have the intent of showing anything we buy. But sometimes that is just not in the cards. So it is a learning experiance always. How else can we develop the eye and understanding of these beautiful pieces of living jewels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to buy Koi that are interesting to me. I've got a lot of Koi that will never see a show tank, but I enjoy them just as much for what they are, especially if I bought them at 4 or 5 inches. It's always fun to enter your fish in a show just to see what kind of eye you have.
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy small (Tosai) fish with the intent of learning. Wanted to see if indeed a fish so small can become a poster fish or magazine fish, well I guess I am still searching...HAHAHAHA...It still amazes me how far I came in this hobby and I still dont know [email protected]!!! I never buy for show, can't think that way...If the fish I buy says it is ready, then off to the show.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I buy small (Tosai) fish with the intent of learning. Wanted to see if indeed a fish so small can become a poster fish or magazine fish, well I guess I am still searching...HAHAHAHA...It still amazes me how far I came in this hobby and I still dont know [email protected]!!! I never buy for show, can't think that way...If the fish I buy says it is ready, then off to the show.
    Aquitori, very well put.

After I get a pond built, I think I'd buy tosai exclusively for the first 7-10 years. Since, I'm new to the hobby, I need to learn how koi develop. I've read alot in books, magazines and on the internet but I'm the type of guy that needs to see it for myself. I'd probably stick with gosanke and shiro utsuri for the most part and add a ogon or two to learn body development without getting distracted by the patterns.

At least that's the plan for now.

-Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi my name is Chris and I have a problem, I buy Koi.

All kidding aside, I mainly just want to try to have nice looking koi in my pond to sit back and watch them develop, a few might go to the Sac. show just as a learning experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris.....starting a chapter of KA huh? I'll join. Thanks for the laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy because I like a certain koi....sometimes I show but many times I don't. Never really purchase with showing in mind.....maybe back of mind...lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blatt
    Chris.....starting a chapter of KA huh? I'll join. Thanks for the laugh

Hey Dan,

I don't think I am starting it, just keeping the club alive. Unfortunatly each and everyone of us has a lifetime membership in it
    Damn fish &%$*&# !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially wanted to buy "one of everything" ....but with my pond size I would quickly have had "none of everything" - too many fish! DH likes to buy larger fish to put in pond to watch and enjoy, I like to purchase smaller tosai and watch them change and develop. (DH refers to my koi as "heron food" which aggravates me). Our pond is our backyard hangout, so we like to find a mix of koi that are pleasing to the eye together as a group, therefore tend to look for certain varieties at certain times. Sometimes though I pick up a little guy that just seems to show promise to me. So far - they've all turned out uglier than sin. (my shiro went from having a nice Ichimatsu pattern to looking like a swimming wad of newprint.....) Have high hopes for little Isa Showa from Champ koi, however. When he gets out of quarantine (or I go visit him) I'll take a pic or two and we can watch him develop online together.....unless he gets embarrassingly ugly. I would like to have a koi or two become show worthy, but don't buy them to plop into a show tank the next day for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast