Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: KHV In New York Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

KHV In New York Lake?

It is reported that 13,000 acre Lake Chautauqua in New York state has had an outbreak of KHV, supposedly confirmed by the Cornell University veterinary school. It is estimated that 20,000 carp have died. Seems there was an outbreak late last summer with a couple of thousand carp dying. Due to unusually hot temperatures, lake water reached into the low 70sF already ... early in the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, or any New Yorkers out there.

Does anyone know if there have been imports of Carp or Koi added to this lake recently? Being an Englander and not knowing the lakes loaction, is it a well used lake by families? Just hoping nothing has recently been added, or the knee jerk reaction to 'ban' everything is likely to perhaps start kicking in.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    KHV killed 50,000 carp in the Santee-Cooper reservoir system in South Carolina last summer. If they had been striped bass instead of carp, someone might have cared.

-steve hopkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob: The locals were most concerned that the rotting fish get cleaned up before this holiday weekend (4th of July) so holiday visitors to the lake would not go elsewhere. I am not familiar with the lake, but do know that lakes in that general area are very popular in the summer.

Steve: Did not know about that episode. Guess there is a lot more KHV around than we realize.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about survivors of both incidents? Are there now large bodies of water with KHV carriers in them?

What can a backyard hobbyist who isn't putting all their water through 24hr rest periods do about avoid KHV from these sources?

Post Thanks / Like
    The KHV virus is known to live for only minutes when removed from a host and in laboratory conditions. Nobody knows what it is capable of doing in a natural environment. We can hope it remains short-lived. But, the only acceptable assurance in a dealer/breeder/hobbyist situation is complete disinfection of everything, typically using a chlorine bleach. One thing is sure. If I was getting my source water from a natural waterbody, I'd be fairly nervous.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    24 hours is the last 'safe' period I heard for the virus surviving without water (or maybe that was without a host). Either way I'd figure on birds landing in infected water then your pond... bad scene.

One of the reasons why I'm covering my pond. Nothing gets in unless I want it to. (Well... some rain gets in because my vent system is a bit hokey...)

Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem that KHV will become ubiquitous in the wild everywhere that there are carp. In the US, this means every state except Alaska. From Lake Erie, there are direct connections to the whole Mississippi basin all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

It is interesting to have it show up in South Carolina and then New York within twelve months. You have to wonder if this was the result of separate anthropogenic introductions, or if there is a natural vector which can transport it from one discrete river system to another.

It is easier to understand how SVC is spread around as it affects many cyprinids - including goldfish which are moved all over the place as bait.

As scary as this all sounds, KHV in the wild may have little or no impact on the koi hobbyist. How many people fill their ponds from a surface water supply? How many routinely have herons fishing in their koi pond? The real threat remains the addition of new fish to the collection without proper quarantine.

-steve hopkins
    aka Chicken Little