Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: GC Koi

Post Thanks / Like

GC Koi

I think it's great that we are seeing so many new GC koi. I would like to know how many of these koi, are koi that would have a chance 2 years later? It seems like most of the GC koi this year have only been in the US for a year or so. Some as little as a few weeks only. So can hobbyest keep these koi looking like GC koi?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom C what level are you talking bout? All-Japan level? BKKS level? or local show level?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my vantage point here in the Pacific Northwest, it was about 8 years ago that i noticed that GC's were being taken care of well enough to skip a year after victory and come right back to win again. So the koi keepers are getting better at caring for their charges. I think the number of competitors has waned in this region, so i'm not seeing the same intense compeition the last two years as before. The koi which won back 8 years ago could not compete with the caliber of koi be brought in presently irregardless of the koi keepers capabilities to care for them. Just not as good.

if this were an olympic competition in markmanship, it would not be against a stationary target!

Post Thanks / Like
    Aquitori, I'm talking about koi that came into the US for some of the big shows. We have seen many outstanding koi over the last few year brought in just for for a show. I'm just guessing that some of these koi will lose it over the next year or two. I was wondering how much it had to do with how they are bigging kept.

On the other side we have seen a few koi that have been GC a number of times. Lets take Nancy and Frank's showa. That koi has won many shows with some top notch koi that entered in the shows. Gene and Dan are also some others I can think of. But how many other GC will never see GC again because of them going down hill in a short time bacause of the way they are kept.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to say with Koi that are coming from Japan as "Jumbo"...Nancy and Franks fish aren't Jumbo by Japan standards, by US standards yes. Nancy and Frank know how to condition their fish before the show which lessen stress and damage. That's why you see Nancy and Franks fish out year to year.

Tom C, with koi being brought in it's hard to fore see the future after each show, anything could happen. Nancy and Frank I would have to say are very experienced hobbyist to limit the dangers of bringing Jumbo Koi to a show.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.