Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Remembering the culls

Post Thanks / Like

Remembering the culls

Ever relfect on pass Nishikigoi you have culled or even yoru domestic holloween koi that was so friendly? About this time every year I reflect on koi I have culled out. pretty much each and everyone. I look back and wonder how they are doing. Some I know go into private mudponds (Lucky them )

I guess its a bit of romance for me that I just want to know how they are doing as they have taught me so much about their ancestors who bred them and moslty how to cull.

Wondering if you all do the same thing???? or am I just being to umm what did someone call me (Too sensitive! LOL)

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Ever relfect on pass Nishikigoi you have culled or even yoru domestic holloween koi that was so friendly? About this time every year I reflect on koi I have culled out. pretty much each and everyone. I look back and wonder how they are doing. Some I know go into private mudponds (Lucky them )

I guess its a bit of romance for me that I just want to know how they are doing as they have taught me so much about their ancestors who bred them and moslty how to cull.

Wondering if you all do the same thing???? or am I just being to umm what did someone call me (Too sensitive! LOL)

Joe
    How about the koi that died from whatever, the culled fish I had are in good places now, but it's the fish that died that bothers me....Damn, I wish I still had my Beni-Kikokuryu....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    How about the koi that died from whatever, the culled fish I had are in good places now, but it's the fish that died that bothers me....Damn, I wish I still had my Beni-Kikokuryu....

yeah I guess that is natures way of culling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    yeah I guess that is natures way of culling.
    I hate you, damn I am thinking again of that fish....Need to listen to some NWA harden myself up....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I hate you, damn I am thinking again of that fish....Need to listen to some NWA harden myself up....

Dang! not the HATE! cool well you'll get over it when you go to Mizzz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I forget everything when I am in Mizzou...I am like "What the hell is Koi?" When I am there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure I think about the ones I've culled (especially since most of them were this year). I think about the ones the died more though.......
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Post Thanks / Like
    It was hard for me to cull the fish we did to make room for some new ones earlier this spring. I am always fearful of bad karma - those fish didn't die on me and here I am giving them away! but I like to imagine that they are now the stars of the show in someone's pond somewhere.

Fish that were lost due to my lack of knowledge bother me. I had a Goshiki, one of the only fish I'd ever named (Bandit - for the black Lone Ranger mask he had over his face when we purchased him) that died after a freak hailstorm in April. I had really enjoyed watching his pattern change and develop ( and improve) and was saddened by never seeing him reach his potential. I never like to feel responsible for the death of such beautiful creatures.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I wish i still had my AWSOME asagi i only just picked her up from the dealer put her in the pond, and walked away only for 5 mins and the males had pushed her out as she was full of eggs. She would have won the 2005 natioanl hands down.