Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How late are you feeding your fish...

Post Thanks / Like

How late are you feeding your fish...

It's 9:53pm and I am feeding my fish right now...It's around 75 and the pond is at 70...Anyone else....?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually feed up to 8 or 9 p.m. Lots of air running off of two bottom drains, so not too concerned. Lots of smaller feedings throughout the day, rather than one or two larger ones.
    Pond temperature at 70 today....high today in the 80's.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Aq, like you most of the time i interact with kois is at night. During weekday i feed three times, 7am, 7pm, 9pm. The rest of the day somebodyelse does it for me. In the morning spend 15 to 20 min max only I wish i could be there longer. Now during night time, as soon as i got home i feed them before dinner and once more after dinner. Its hard to resist feeding during nighttime, whenever i m around the pond, my hand feels itchy to throw the pellets especially when looking at those kois that show their sorry faces wanted more pellets to gulp. Sometimes in the morning i found too many floating debris indicating i fed too much making me regret that i couldnt control myself.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in the uk and have an on demand feeder and they feed all night long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Aquitori, I try to feed 4 or 5 time a day, 8 am before going to work, 1 pm, 6 pm and later 9 or 10 pm. My water is at 25 C and yesterday the air was at 37 C .. very hot and no wind.
    I through the pellet on the oposite side then the skimmer and in 5 minutes all the pellets not eaten goes into the skimmer. So it's easier to know how much I have to give.
    I'm wondering about using a automatic feeder

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Dan, like to feed small amount every coupla hrs thru out the day right close to dark.

My favorite feeding time is half an hr after 1 st light. That's when the little asagi's are apt to be the hungriest and most visible. ( and i can get a white nose count!)

I have not said too much about automatic demand feeders because i have a friend I have a high regard for that makes em. So let me express one of my concerns in a positive manner. I hope everyone who has them will spend as much time by the pond as possible watching the koi feed. It is a time when you can look for dings and other concerns especially on the underside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Futo Maruyama gave some of us a great presentation on feeding koi. He said koi should be fed according to water temps. Amount fed should increase and then decrease according to temperture with fast in winter for two year old and older koi. Amount fed per day should be divided into 4 hour feedings. Amount fed is determined first by capacity of filtration. Slow down feeding if water quality is affected. Watch best koi body shape. Slow down feeding if body shape is affected poorly. Peak feeding and higher protein food fed as temperture drops in fall from high 70's to mid 70's. Koi should not be fed all night as they need time to rest. OK to feed once after dark and also right before first light.

#1 is always Water Quality
    #2 is quality of Food and feeding schedule/amount
    #3 is genetics of Koi

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some will disagree, but would like to hear from others. It goes against everything I understood and read in koi books and koi feed, but their I stood in front of my pond at Doug's place and was amaze at the size of the koi and their color, less than 2 months ago I had place these koi into this pond. I ask Doug, what are you feeding these guys? His response was, been blammotizzzz. Please explain, ONE heavy feeding in the morning, that is it!!!!!! He said fish can only absorb only so much food, the rest is in your water. So with that info, I went home and give it a try for 2 months. Guess what, koi are bigger, colors are brighter, water is much cleaner. Proof is in the pudding, see for yourself...sorry no before photos. Doug was only using Mazuri koi food to. I am using Ray Abels new food at 55% protien, mix with Sarge's and Microlift fruit and greens koi food. Give it a try and see for yourself, ( this is for koi 1 year or older) under 1 year 3 to 4 feedings a day.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20749

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sundan
    I know some will disagree, but would like to hear from others. It goes against everything I understood and read in koi books and koi feed, but their I stood in front of my pond at Doug's place and was amaze at the size of the koi and their color, less than 2 months ago I had place these koi into this pond. I ask Doug, what are you feeding these guys? His response was, been blammotizzzz. Please explain, ONE heavy feeding in the morning, that is it!!!!!! He said fish can only absorb only so much food, the rest is in your water. So with that info, I went home and give it a try for 2 months. Guess what, koi are bigger, colors are brighter, water is much cleaner. Proof is in the pudding, see for yourself...sorry no before photos. Doug was only using Mazuri koi food to. I am using Ray Abels new food at 55% protien, mix with Sarge's and Microlift fruit and greens koi food. Give it a try and see for yourself, ( this is for koi 1 year or older) under 1 year 3 to 4 feedings a day.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20749
    Pretty interesting can you keep us up to date with pics on growth..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan
    Futo Maruyama gave some of us a great presentation on feeding koi. He said koi should be fed according to water temps. Amount fed should increase and then decrease according to temperture with fast in winter for two year old and older koi. Amount fed per day should be divided into 4 hour feedings. Amount fed is determined first by capacity of filtration. Slow down feeding if water quality is affected. Watch best koi body shape. Slow down feeding if body shape is affected poorly. Peak feeding and higher protein food fed as temperture drops in fall from high 70's to mid 70's. Koi should not be fed all night as they need time to rest. OK to feed once after dark and also right before first light.

#1 is always Water Quality
    #2 is quality of Food and feeding schedule/amount
    #3 is genetics of Koi
    Hey Ray, heard about the loss of your Big Kohak, it was a really nice Kohak from the pics I have seen of it. It is always hard to lose a master piece.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast