Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quiz time on water quality

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    so far I like the mentality to check the source water and the reliability of the test kit. Shows some good common sense here.

in the conversion of amonnia released from the breathing and waste of the koi,
    it becomes nitrite first and then is converted to nitrate.

this scenerio was an actual case. The person who was concerned assumed that 40 ppm was too much. It is still well within the safe zone.

Jaco hit it on the money with water change as a solution. This can become a problem over time in a closed system as it will build up constantly. In this case the pond owner was doing water changes, he just needed to increase them in frequency or %. About 10-15% would be about right!

so as a practical excercise to this, what are your nitrate levels?
    Hi Dick, from what i understand nitrate is less harmful compare to nitrite or ammoni. So what is actually the adverse effect(s) of having too high of nitrate level then? I never tested the nitrate in my pond coz always think it is not a major concern.

Sorry if this is OOT, i always having problem with my kH constantly going down. Source water kH is 4dH and after one week kH always drop to 2dH. In order to back up the kH i used baking soda but after a while kH drops again. Is there any other way to maintain kH level besides adding baking soda cause if possible i would to avoid dumping chemical into pond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul,
    Your right Nitrate is no big deal for fish health, even in the hundreds. Some maintain that it contributes to a balnket weed problem. But if you can keep it in the numbers of Mike's new pond, then your doing well.

baking soda has the ability to get you back where you want to be ( and then right back down almost as fast) this yo-yo effect on the koi is not good and should be avoided. Whenever you add something you have to monitor which is a pain as you've learned with baking soda. First option i recommend is putting a constant trickle of fresh water in so that it maintains the source water amount.

Depending on what your goal is with your koi ( growth or finishing ) you may consider using crushed oyster shell as a buffer.

Let us know how either of these two options work for you.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, for option 1 constant trickle is not feasible as i have to treat my tap water which contains chlorine before use it for the pond. Alternatively i can do water changeout (5%) every other day cause it takes one night to deal wt chlorine. As of now i am doing 10% every week only and i think i will change this habit.

For option 2, crushed oyster shell, i kindl of have done that but using lithaqua. Most likely i will add corals (which is easier to find here) cause right now i dont think lithaqua makes that huge differences unless i put a ton of them in the pump chamber? Now, with your clue, oyster shell has calcium content in it which in turn makes the water hard so it is suitable for finishing rather than growing ? This just a guess from me hehehe ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino88
    Well, for option 1 constant trickle is not feasible as i have to treat my tap water which contains chlorine before use it for the pond. Alternatively i can do water changeout (5%) every other day cause it takes one night to deal wt chlorine. As of now i am doing 10% every week only and i think i will change this habit.

For option 2, crushed oyster shell, i kindl of have done that but using lithaqua. Most likely i will add corals (which is easier to find here) cause right now i dont think lithaqua makes that huge differences unless i put a ton of them in the pump chamber? Now, with your clue, oyster shell has calcium content in it which in turn makes the water hard so it is suitable for finishing rather than growing ? This just a guess from me hehehe ..
    you've got it right! water with minimal hardness is better for growing and harder water for finishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    sorry Joe, I posted probably while you were. You and jaco hit it!
    Thanks Dick,, I got lucky But when in doubt a water change is always a good idea...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12