Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools needed to complete your pond....

Post Thanks / Like

Tools needed to complete your pond....

How many of us have all the tools needed when we are doing pond maintains or treating our fish?

A list of must haves:

Koi bowl: Atleast 2 would be preferred if treating fish and it is always nice to have one for different size fish.

Socknet: Should have atleast one, either one that holds water or one that doesn't. The one that holds water is alot more useful, you can move fish alot more easier from location to location.

Koinet: Should have one atleast the size of your biggest fish. It's one thing to have the fish grow on you and you don't have the right size net.

Bucket: Always nice to have one handy and big enough so you can lug water around with out hurting your back. Also, getting pond water with you koi bowl is always hard to do especially when your trying to drag it out of the pond. If you have a socknet that holds water then you don't need this.

Microscope: I need to get one so I don't have to barrow Keokoi's, I think once everyone has mastered the look of certain parasites then I would get one. Might not use it everyday but it does come in handy when you need it.

O2 Tank: This one thing you can get if you do alot of showing and transport, I got a 20 size tank filled all the time just in case of anything.

Large Koi Bags: To get back to transport it is always wise to have a few handy just in case of emergency. You should save the bags you get from your dealer and disinfect them for later use.

I am sure the rest of the board can add to this, but these are the things to make your hobby alot easier.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    How many of us have all the tools needed when we are doing pond maintains or treating our fish?

A list of must haves:

Koi bowl: Atleast 2 would be preferred if treating fish and it is always nice to have one for different size fish.

Yes koi bowls are invalubale. Get one your jumbo.. You just never know when you need to do a dip of some sort.

Socknet: Should have atleast one, either one that holds water or one that doesn't. The one that holds water is alot more useful, you can move fish alot more easier from location to location.

These are the best. The sock net that holds water is best to move koi around and into bowl. The one that holds water with net drain on end is best but more expensive but well worth it if you are novice to using one. The mesh net is good for bagging your fish. Not needed but good to have.

Koinet: Should have one atleast the size of your biggest fish. It's one thing to have the fish grow on you and you don't have the right size net.

Try to buy the biggest. Bigger net is easier to catch fish. Buy a few sizes down for the shows so you have one of them.

Bucket: Always nice to have one handy and big enough so you can lug water around with out hurting your back. Also, getting pond water with you koi bowl is always hard to do especially when your trying to drag it out of the pond. If you have a socknet that holds water then you don't need this.

Just use the sock net for getting water. Heck I use mine to get water out of pond to water some plants. Bucket is good because you know exact measurement. But show tub also has measurement marks on side.

Microscope: I need to get one so I don't have to barrow Keokoi's, I think once everyone has mastered the look of certain parasites then I would get one. Might not use it everyday but it does come in handy when you need it.

I always let you all use mine No big deal to me. Jsut return it to me clean.

O2 Tank: This one thing you can get if you do alot of showing and transport, I got a 20 size tank filled all the time just in case of anything.

Big one for home small one for travel to shows.

Large Koi Bags: To get back to transport it is always wise to have a few handy just in case of emergency. You should save the bags you get from your dealer and disinfect them for later use.

Bags and Boxes to transport koi. Some use transport tanks which aint no big deal. But bags are cool if you cannot flip koi upside down. Just lift bag over head so you can inspect koi underneath.

I am sure the rest of the board can add to this, but these are the things to make your hobby alot easier.

Want to add more but gotta go... . Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    NOT A BAD LIST! THE ONE THAT ALWAYS GETS ME IS FINDING A GOOD SOURCE OF RUBBER BANDS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN EXPOSED TO uv AND READY TO SNAP UPON USE! (LOL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Aquitori - excellent thread-starter! Props to you.

maybe add:

Those of us on city water: plentiful supply of water conditioner: cloram-x, amquel+, etc.

A backup place to put koi if big problems in pond.

I like having a battery-powered backup for air if electricity goes out b/c smaller pond

I keep some med. chest basics on hand: salt, formalin/malachite green, Prazi, oil of cloves, etc.

Phone numbers of VIPs (very informative people)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    NOT A BAD LIST! THE ONE THAT ALWAYS GETS ME IS FINDING A GOOD SOURCE OF RUBBER BANDS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN EXPOSED TO uv AND READY TO SNAP UPON USE! (LOL)
    Isn't that the truth. trying to tie those little tiny knots in desperation........

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i can think to add is a good test kit or some digital meters.

-dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Great list Tonio. How about 3 hands when your trying to inject without an anastetic! Like Jen said, a list of helpful phone numbers is really nice. I think one of the best things to have is KoiKichi friends to come over and just chill and talk Koi.
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't seriously mess with fish without several balances (scales); a big hanging one for weighing fish and a small precise one for weighing medications. Also, graduated cylinders, pipetes and all that plasticware stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know whatelse is cool a laser temp gauge.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a show tank or two if you have a major problem with your main pond and the qt isn't large enough to put all fish, and a spare air pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast