Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Injection sites... What is your fave...??

Post Thanks / Like

Injection sites... What is your fave...??

Ok well my fave is no injection at all. But if I must then what area do you feel safest..?

For me Pectoral is easiest.....

let me know your thoughts...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, I like the pec area. Some like to inject in the dorsal area and tail area, but you got to be very careful when doing it because you can damage the muscle if the dosage is incorrect...Injecting your fish should the last thing on the list if everything else fails..
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Same here, I like the pec area. Some like to inject in the dorsal area and tail area, but you got to be very careful when doing it because you can damage the muscle if the dosage is incorrect...Injecting your fish should the last thing on the list if everything else fails..

Interesting... l would thing alsoo damaging the scales as well....

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Scales too, on a small to medium fish it's okay but on a jumbo every precaution has to be taken.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always the pectoral area.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm alone, it gets it in the dorsal area, with four hands, the pectorial area.
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    May I ask a question? You seem to prefer dorsal or pectorally, so you may not know the answer. . . but I've heard that it's possible to spin a koi, maybe 3 times to disorient it, roll it over quickly and while holding it against the side of the bowl, inject IP. Supposedly, the koi will be so disoriented that you can accomplish this (if you're ready and fast enough) without the need for anesthesia. It can be released immediately, none the less for wear and tear. I don't like having to knock a fish down for injections, if that's the only attention that's required.

Regarding injection site(s), it depends on where the problem is. I like the small spot behind the last dorsal ray, where there aren't scales. I like IP; I've given them in the caudal muscle. I *haven't* given them in the pec muscle (the fin-pit!) because it's such a solid muscle, I don't wish to risk possible damage to the muscle or the expulsion of the injected med. But I don't have a lot of experience with injectibles and only do that which I have been taught and am comfortable with.

Why is the pec area so popular?

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only use the mid-range spot between the anal vent and fins. When I do post-mort demos for wet labs and such, I always show the penetration of the needle into the fish from the inside. This is interesting to see. Personally, I do not like the pec armpit method for the simple reason that the heart and arterious bulbous are located way too close to the "armpit." So, for me.. mid-line IP is the only place I go. Also, if you try this, you will find that puncturing the gut is harder than you might think..

I don't know about spinning fish, Lee... I might try this but if he throws up on me, it is your fault..

REC