Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dainichi Koi Food..

Post Thanks / Like

Dainichi Koi Food..

Has anyone tried it? and how were the results if you did? Particularly "Growth Plus" and "Premium".. and there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two except that "Premium" has a little less protein percentage and it contains spirulina.. what do you guys think? thanks..

Post Thanks / Like
    Used Dainichi (All Season) a few years back and liked it. Started using Kani Ichban mixed with other pellets and did until last year....can't get it now. Just purchased some Dainichi growth as I didn't want the color enhancer (spirulina) in Premium. Mixing it with both Hakari and Ogata wheat germ. Will increase amount as temperature warms. Also just got some new Hi Silk which I will add to the mix for July/August, as well as feed seperately.
    Can't really comment yet on the Dainichi Growth other than the koi seem to like it pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blatt
    Used Dainichi (All Season) a few years back and liked it. Started using Kani Ichban mixed with other pellets and did until last year....can't get it now. Just purchased some Dainichi growth as I didn't want the color enhancer (spirulina) in Premium. Mixing it with both Hakari and Ogata wheat germ. Will increase amount as temperature warms. Also just got some new Hi Silk which I will add to the mix for July/August, as well as feed seperately.
    Can't really comment yet on the Dainichi Growth other than the koi seem to like it pretty well.
    Where did you get Hi Silk? my local dealer ran out.. don't know when they'll be getting it in again..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshi4lyfe
    Where did you get Hi Silk? my local dealer ran out.. don't know when they'll be getting it in again..
    Genki carries Hi Silk.... only in large pellets though...
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Arthur who posts here recommends daiinichi. I have used it on and off over the years. I know the manufacturer and have had lots of conversations about his methods and quality of ingredients and have always come away impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got mine from Japan Koi Online....size medium. Just got some in during mid June.......as I wanted to be sure it was fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Arthur who posts here recommends daiinichi. I have used it on and off over the years. I know the manufacturer and have had lots of conversations about his methods and quality of ingredients and have always come away impressed.
    When you were using Dainichi food what were the results? were they more positive, neutral, negative? Thanks again..

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine in June from tsekoi.com. They have both medium and large.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Dainichi Fish Food

WARNING: I sell the stuff. With this cleared,

I can truely comment on Dainichi koi food since I have used it almost exclusively for over six years.

Dainichi is a relatively small producer. The food is always FRESH. At times when you order you have to wait until they can make some more.

To my knowledge, Dainichi is the only US-made koi food imported in Japan and used by some breeders and some very well known hobbyists there.

Two years ago they started mixing a small amount of Monmorillonite clay in the food. Since then I have never seen floating feces in my pond and shiroji has improved.

The main filler is wheat meal, not wheat flour. Fish feces are large and consistent and easily settled out.

They fame to claim is the two stage manufacturing process where minerals and vitamins are coated onto the cooled pellets after th extrusion stage. This can be a drawback with slow eating fish as the coating dissolves in the water after a few minutes. However, even my largest koi eat this food agressively, so this is not a problem for me.

The All-Season food is their "wheat germ". My eyes were opnened to this fact when I asked why they did not produce a Wheat-Germ pellet; I was walked down the ingredients list comparing it to Hikari Wheat-Germ: it is almost the same except that Dainichi uses white fish meal and Hikari uses brown fish meal. I use All-Season as I prefer the lower oil content when feeding at lower temperatures. It is also available in sinking pellets.

Growth Plus is a high protein mix with added kril and shrimp. IMHO it is well suited for koi under five years of age. Baby pellets (~1mm) are available; they float for about a minute then very slowly sink. Great for tosai.

Premium is a summer food for older fish (5+) that is a little lower in protein and contains a very small amount of Spirulina.

Note that I have used several other koi foods: Nozomi, Hikari, Hai Feng, Japan Pet Drugs (MediCarp and others), among others.

These are my observations about the food, not the manufacturer's, in fact they might disagree with a couple of points I made.

Sorry for the long post but several people on this board have asked that a provide more detailed reasons for my liking this food.
    Arthur

Post Thanks / Like
    You can order from:

genkikoi.com
    majestickoi.com
    tsekoi.com (they have the 2kg medium, 5kg large and 15kg large and medium)
    enkoi.com
    japankoionline.com

Ogata also has a Silk pellet product too called "Silk Power"
    enkoi.com carries that too
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast