Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Question about hi development - red line

  1. #1
    Jumbo mulberryjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question about hi development - red line

    This is DH Mike's Sanke that he picked out, and he wanted me to ask if you all thought her hi would become deeper and redder over time or not. The hi color is now uniformly very bold orange, not red.

    I thought there was some significance to the thin, red line running vertically through the middle of the scale of a young fish (tosai Momotaro) but unsure.....I do not have the depth of knowledge to answer him correctly.

    Found a past thread from 2004 that discusses what I am looking for somewhat, but none of the pictures are attached anymore, so I've asked.

    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/showth...light=red+line
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale3.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	1641  

  2. #2
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    How old is fishy ? From Pic does not look that old. No depth of fukurin as I can see.

    Got any full shots... also pics of the shoulder area if you have one..

    Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

  3. #3
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is this Sanke from Jen? But looking at the beni, it looks to be Matsunosuke Bloodline. The Beni looks shallow and down. This must be due to the water temp there. The beni will come up later but not scarlet red, this bloodline always comes up a brighter deeper persimmion when it gets older. I wouldn't worry about the beni, it just needs time to mature...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

  4. #4
    Jumbo mulberryjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    How old is fishy ? From Pic does not look that old. No depth of fukurin as I can see.

    Got any full shots... also pics of the shoulder area if you have one..

    Joe
    She is still tosai - do not know exact b-day. She is a growing girl..she was about 17" end of May when purchased, now closer to 19". Here is same pic. showing more of fish.

    Don't have good shot of full fish -do not have a show bowl yet. (Should have ordered one before Mike put "koi spending moratorium" on me. Have to figure out way to sneak one past him....tell him it's for washing the dog or something ) Been using a large, shallow, white styrofoam coolor for shipping saltwater fish to "bowl"....not very photogenic environment for koi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taisho sanke.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	1642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanke.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	1643  
    Last edited by mulberryjen; 07-08-2005 at 01:18 AM. Reason: oops forgot pix

  5. #5
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    In time it will thicken up so it looks like. If 19" prolly looking at sansai.. Fish has long way to go.. Who did you buy it from? Might be able to narrow it down to breeders..

    Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

  6. #6
    Jumbo mulberryjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Where is this Sanke from Jen? But looking at the beni, it looks to be Matsunosuke Bloodline. The Beni looks shallow and down. This must be due to the water temp there. The beni will come up later but not scarlet red, this bloodline always comes up a brighter deeper persimmion when it gets older. I wouldn't worry about the beni, it just needs time to mature...

    Japan? She is from Momotaro, that is all I know. (sorry so dumb)

    Mike says he loves her no matter what, even if she stays orange, she's his big baby. But he threatens my Hosokai showa (same hi color) b/c he doesn't like his lumpy head and that he splashes us all the time. I tell him to be patient and leave my fish alone. I will be curious to see how their beni develops over time since water around here is fairly hard.

    By the way, got new food in yesterday. So mixing Ogata wheat germ, Hai Feng quik-gro, and Ogata Silk power. Stupid beagle dog likes it - she shoved her head in the container and snorted up a big mouthful!! I'll post pix. if she starts turning colors....

  7. #7
    Jumbo mulberryjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    In time it will thicken up so it looks like. If 19" prolly looking at sansai.. Fish has long way to go.. Who did you buy it from? Might be able to narrow it down to breeders..

    Joe
    Carl at Keirin - Momotaro fish

    Ooops, looks like we're posting at same time

  8. #8
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Japan? She is from Momotaro, that is all I know. (sorry so dumb)

    Mike says he loves her no matter what, even if she stays orange, she's his big baby. But he threatens my Hosokai showa (same hi color) b/c he doesn't like his lumpy head and that he splashes us all the time. I tell him to be patient and leave my fish alone. I will be curious to see how their beni develops over time since water around here is fairly hard.

    By the way, got new food in yesterday. So mixing Ogata wheat germ, Hai Feng quik-gro, and Ogata Silk power. Stupid beagle dog likes it - she shoved her head in the container and snorted up a big mouthful!! I'll post pix. if she starts turning colors....
    Oh if Momotaro and you from Kentucky you must have gotten it from Keirin Koi...

    Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

  9. #9
    wild horse dinh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A future show to be defined soon....
    Posts
    4,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought two tosai momotaro kohakus few years ago from a local
    dealer here in Norcal. They were same size. One has a deep red
    that I picked by myself. The other one has very thin hi and kind
    of orange like Mike's Sanke. I didn't appriciate much for the orange
    tone as well as so thin to me at that time. But this one was picked
    by AKCA judge Larry Gil, who happened was there at that time.
    With all respects to Larry, I bought it without any question.

    About one year later in my pond, the color of this orange became vey
    thick and very very beautiful bright and deep persimmon. It is one of my best
    kohaku in my pond now. So, since it is tosai, be patient. The beautiful
    of it will come ......

  10. #10
    Honmei keokoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got to see my Momo Kohak from last Years Auction in Sept. Hi was thin.. I got to see the Kohak last trip in April over there. The Hi has thickened up quite a bit in a short amount of time. I reckon be patient and learn from her Lineage so keep her around....

    Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tomoin Line
    By Hirogoi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM
  2. Development question
    By Farmer Steve in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
  3. Question Yellow card VS Red card
    By Nancy M. in forum Outside
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
  4. Is this the end of the line for the SPURS?
    By gspotmc in forum Outside
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
  5. Need help with plumbing line for new filter
    By OSkoi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com