Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Q about second Hi color

Post Thanks / Like

Q about secondary Hi color

I bought a Sanke two years ago. The colors including hi and shiro were great at the time I took home. But just after about 8 months in my pond, it started to
    develop secondary hi color in the head. The secondary hi color still there
    for more than one year. Will it be gone someday or will stay as it is forever?

Many thanks in advance!!

--Dinh

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Secondary Hi,...

Hi dinh,

Since Koi are living animals,... man-made, or man-bred, and the genetics are unstable, many of them aren't perfect in their color representation. It's not uncommon for secondary Hi to appear on some. Sometimes this will go away as quickly as it emerged, and sometimes it will continue to emerge and solidify, changing the pattern of the Koi.

The "worst type" of secondary Hi on Gosanke is the type that comes up from the belly in large scattered patches and spoils the pattern and elegance of the fish - this is simply a poor genetic draw, and the surprise that the Koi had to offer you - its difficult to predict in young Koi. Sometimes we see small patches emerge on the gill plates, and the head, these, though changing the pattern can sometimes actually add to the pattern rather than produce a demerit,... but most secondary Hi will be distracting and undesireable.

We're so often reminded with Koi that the larger mature Koi are SO expensive because they have proven themselves in the developmental years and have cleared all the genetic hurdles Koi are subject to.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Post Thanks / Like
    dinh: Folks might be more comfortable venturing a guess if they could see what it looks like.

I have a male Sanke that developed secondary Hi right where an Odomo had existed. It appeared around age 5 and has gradually intensified, but remains weak compared to the rest of the Hi on the fish. A definite distraction and really hurts the fish IMO. At first I hoped it was just the result of spirulina and would fade when no longer fed food with added carotene, etc.; but, it has not faded. No matter the season, the food, etc., it is there and I think it is going to stay just so I mentally flinch when I see it. (It is a fish I cannot part with because beloved by a family member ... of course.)

I've not read much about secondary Hi, so I'm not comfortable speculating about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    if it is in truth secondary Hi it is there for the duration. I've run across it more in kohaku especially of sensuke bloodline but as mike suggests if it's secondary, doesn't matter what you feed.

i used to be a big fan of sensuke till i paid top dollar for a fabulous nisai and at the end of her second year developed a secondary hi patch that never finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    dinh: Folks might be more comfortable venturing a guess if they could see what it looks like.

I have a male Sanke that developed secondary Hi right where an Odomo had existed. It appeared around age 5 and has gradually intensified, but remains weak compared to the rest of the Hi on the fish. A definite distraction and really hurts the fish IMO. At first I hoped it was just the result of spirulina and would fade when no longer fed food with added carotene, etc.; but, it has not faded. No matter the season, the food, etc., it is there and I think it is going to stay just so I mentally flinch when I see it. (It is a fish I cannot part with because beloved by a family member ... of course.)

I've not read much about secondary Hi, so I'm not comfortable speculating about it.
    Thx Mike. Same here, can't let it goes cause it was a gift for my BD. Here is the pix that I just took it directly from my pond few minutes ago at night after
    reading your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dinh, what's up man? I am all too familar with that Sanke..It is hard to say if that Secondary Hi will go away. Some say a season in the mudpond will cure that, but since we have no mud pond access we will have to make do with what we got..Some say food and some say genetics...But from what you told me before your not feeding anything with very high, color enhancing effect, so I would say genetics...Maybe green water will cure it, with just wheatgrem as feed..
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Dinh, what's up man? I am all too familar with that Sanke..It is hard to say if that Secondary Hi will go away. Some say a season in the mudpond will cure that, but since we have no mud pond access we will have to make do with what we got..Some say food and some say genetics...But from what you told me before your not feeding anything with very high, color enhancing effect, so I would say genetics...Maybe green water will cure it, with just wheatgrem as feed..
    Not much buddy, it has been so hectic for me lately, you know, trying to fisnish the project as scheduled ;-))

Perhaps you are right about genetics, I never feed any color enhancement food. Happy that you still recognized this Sanke. Remember, I were leaning to get the 2-step Marudo Kohaku instead, but master Duke and master Zung suggested me to get this Sanke. See, sometime, "masters" made a lot of mistake too;-)) It is still beautiful as it was, except the secondary hi on the head. As Mike said, I too mentally flinch when seeing this koi.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Dinh, that sure looks like an incomplete pattern alteration procedure....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    if it is in truth secondary Hi it is there for the duration. I've run across it more in kohaku especially of sensuke bloodline but as mike suggests if it's secondary, doesn't matter what you feed.

i used to be a big fan of sensuke till i paid top dollar for a fabulous nisai and at the end of her second year developed a secondary hi patch that never finished.
    Thanks Dick - I just got the latest Koi USA Magazine yesterday. There was
    a Breeder's profile" Hosokai Koi Farm - Asagi - You may want to check it out.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dinh

I have a kohaku developed secondary hi after I have him for about six months.

The 2nd picture taken in April with the secondary all over the body.

The 1st picture taken in June almost all the secondary hi were gone. I did not do anything difference during the entire time. No color enhancing food were given.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1671