Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweet potatoes

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

sweet potatoes

Has anyone fed sweet potatoe to their koi. Gave them a bite of off the dinner plate last night and they seemed to really enjoy it. Any nutritional downside to this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard great stuff about sweet potatoes. I feed it to mine once a week. Haven't been doing it long so I don't know if there are any drawbacks yet.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    I've heard great stuff about sweet potatoes. I feed it to mine once a week. Haven't been doing it long so I don't know if there are any drawbacks yet.
    I recently watched the Momotaro vid and I'm sure that I saw someone cutting and feeding sweet potatoes to the koi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuff is great to use, gives your koi and different diet...Keokoi uses it...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like you, I also saw Maeda using sweet potatoes as a food supplement. When I feed them I like too steam them first and then cube them up and feed.

The fish go absolutely nuts for them more than any other feed I have tried, including shrimp. I use only as a treat and have found that no matter how small I cube them they are never digested totally. Hence the smaller pieces in my pump basket the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but isn't sweet potato mainly starch/carbohydrate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rice, potatoas, spagetti .. are all carbohydrates, they can be given some times to the fishes, but they have to be really well koocked because if they aren't the kind of carbohydrate can't be digest by them. Try just a few long spagetti, it's a good way to teach them to be feed by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet potato should be well cooked for the fish's digestive organs to break it down. Yes, Momotaro does feed Sweet Potatoes, squash, tofu and other things that are in season in that area. That lady you see in the video perpares the items to be feed everyday.

For these fish to maintain their size they have to have a balanced mixed diet, they are fed high protein food to build the muscle and the high carbs to build fat. These 2 factors build the conformation that they are looking for in jumbo koi.

I feed about twice a week with my sweet potato paste to build conformation, it works well for my fish and they love it.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marco
    Rice, potatoas, spagetti .. are all carbohydrates, they can be given some times to the fishes, but they have to be really well koocked because if they aren't the kind of carbohydrate can't be digest by them. Try just a few long spagetti, it's a good way to teach them to be feed by hand.

Ok carbs are not carbs.. Many other sources of carbs have nutrition in them..

Sweet Potatoes have Carotene, Fiber, Folic acid, Magnesium, and yes carbs.. But these do much more than than a pasta or white rice.

I think looking at the big picture you have to look beyond the simple nutrition facts of each individual ingredients...

IMHO

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet potato also contains some protien.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast