Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Accelerated Growth

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Accelerated Growth

A male 17 month old Omosako Shiro Utsuri has recently experienced a growth spurt- 20 to 24-1/2 in a five week period. Other koi of similar ages have only grown an average of 2-1/2, but are larger than the aforementioned male. Im glad to see the male utsuri catch up, but curious about the growth cycle itself. Could a koi accumulate amino acids in certain organs and then when conditions are favorable grow at an accelerated rate? Or, is mostly hormonal? All constants are the same for the last five weeks except for an increase in water temperature. 76F to 80F currently. I also need to add that the male has been consuming a larger quanity of food than normal. I use an on demand feeder, so its up to the koi on when and how much they eat.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark,

I have always heard that it is genetics that plays the biggest role in koi growth, and the good water temps helps, I dont no anything about amino acids. But his eating habits are helping Im sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    A male 17 month old Omosako Shiro Utsuri has recently experienced a growth spurt- 20 to 24-1/2 in a five week period. Other koi of similar ages have only grown an average of 2-1/2, but are larger than the aforementioned male. Im glad to see the male utsuri catch up, but curious about the growth cycle itself. Could a koi accumulate amino acids in certain organs and then when conditions are favorable grow at an accelerated rate? Or, is mostly hormonal? All constants are the same for the last five weeks except for an increase in water temperature. 76F to 80F currently. I also need to add that the male has been consuming a larger quanity of food than normal. I use an on demand feeder, so its up to the koi on when and how much they eat.

Mark
    How big is the pond? 4 1/2" in a month is very good...Do you have a pic?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.