Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast?

Post Thanks / Like

Breakfast?

Anybody want to come over for breakfast? We're having eggs, OooooooooooooooWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Did a accidental 60% water change yesterday afternoon ( left a valve open on my water fall that comes on with a timer, all the pumps are on low water shut offs to save the fish), and from what I posted yesterday continued today. What a mess!!!!!!!!!!
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Post Thanks / Like
    in the good olde days before i finally switched over to exclusively female koi to avoid that problem ,I hated getting the water quality back, let alone all the doctoring as a result of injury during the process.

you have my sympathies, and encouragement to go exclusively one sex or the other.

I got lucky and built a figure 8 pond with a bridge in the center. I can put a net up separating the two sides to divide the sexes.

typical, they both would hang around the divider and push against it in an effort to get together! (lol) Eventually they would win, so off the males went!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very fortuante that, not one scale was knocked loose. All the eggs were collected by my micro-screen in my filter, other than the ones that were eatten. I did a 25% water change already, and will do another in a few hours, and probably one later tonight, as well as a few tomorrow as well. I am on well water so frequent water changes are quite easy.

When I get to a point where I can selectivly breed, my idea was similar, I can divide my pond as well.

I would have thought my fish would have spawned quite a bit earlier in the year as my water temps have been above 72 for at least 2 months, with yesterday getting up to 82. After I did the massive water change yesterday, it dropped to 76.

I did lower the water level in my pond last night as I suspected they might continue what they were doing yesterday morning, and I didn't want to loose another to jumping out.

My 20" Hi-Utsuri (the main fish that spawned I believe) has had a huge pot belly since I bought her last Oct. Now she looks really good after releasing her eggs. I am sitting here looking at filling out the paper work for the Sac. show, thinking I might bring fish now. After loosing the Kiko (my avatar) the other night, that turned me off from showing as it was the main reason I was going to show.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht
    Anybody want to come over for breakfast? We're having eggs, OooooooooooooooWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Did a accidental 60% water change yesterday afternoon ( left a valve open on my water fall that comes on with a timer, all the pumps are on low water shut offs to save the fish), and from what I posted yesterday continued today. What a mess!!!!!!!!!!
    Awe c'mon arent ya glad yer fish fell in love
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually yeah, the Hi Utsuri looks much better now!!!!!!!!

Chris~

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come to the show, bring the Hi Utsuri! At least so I can see it.

Hmmm... I better get cranking on that paperwork too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just filled out the paperwork and check, so I'll be there, I'll bring the Hi but I have seen better, she's ok, not great.This is last falls pic of her:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000985.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000987.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	1706  

Chris~

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding spawning.

This is the first year I got spawning happened in my pond because of the temperature flunctuation.

I read in your posts earlier and have an impression that after the fish spawned, your water become pretty foul and slimy. IS IT CORRECT???

that's what's happening to my water, All parameters (Ph,Ammo, Nitrite + nitrate) are all normal, but the water just seems NOT clean.

Please explain a little more about this. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was my first year as well. I didn't get any smell at all, just icky , uh-hem, foam. My pond water is very greenish, from the algee eatting the protien, I would guess, even with the water changes I have done.

Chris~

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Hi chris,

It's the same for me. My water is always very clear with
    good algae on the sides of the pond.

Now it's murky with what seems to be floating algae as you said.

I can't see the bottom of the pond clearly (6' deep) like before.

I always do ~5% water change daily. I probably should increase this amount to 10 or 15% until water quality is back to where it was before.

You said you did 60% water change? Is that too much for 1 time? Anything happened?

Any advise or precaution I should be aware of???

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast