Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Making a lasting relationship with a Koi Dealer

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like

Making a lasting relationship with a Koi Dealer

Let me start by saying I have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to be a Koi Dealer - I respect and admire them and the risk and hard work that they do on a day to day basis.

Risk? Yep, risk. Risk that they sell a fish or many fish to an individual who is too ignorant to do the right thing - has issues with their fish - then blame the dealer for their own idiotic mistakes.

Anyhow, we have all seen that. My question is - do most of you have a specific dealer that you purchase through, or many?

If so, what makes the dealer better than the other? Is it:

Trust and confidence in their abilities?

Knowing that they will quarantine the fish properly and hold back any that are not ready?

Because of the specific breeder they buy from?

Because they will give you an honest assessment on a perspective purchase, regardless of whether it will cost them a sell or not?

What would it be for you?

Post Thanks / Like

A lasting relationship with a Koi Dealer, ever possible?

I have ABSOLUTELY A STRONG DESIRE to be a Koi breeder or dealer.

Simply awesome! My dreams are still a tad far off.

Risk? I agree they must sell right koi to an individual who can do right things for koi and realize potential!

I have few specific dealer that for my purchases, say 3, engaged in long term healthily genuine friendship.

What makes the dealer better than the other? Trust, honesty, integrity and total frankness.

Trust and confidence in their abilities will be seen over time and experience. Word of mouth has it too!

Knowing they must quarantine koi and hold back when are not ready, just show professionalism and business ethics.

Some specific breeder has koi of better qualities, coloration, conformation and established relation with foreign dealers.

A wholly honest assessment on prospective purchase and thorough inspection, are much yearned for and appreciated.

Regardless of of cost or if they sell or not, their judgement and sincerity will show.

What separates good form lesser ones is their conduct and business-deportment.

Some notorious dealers at my region has customers stratified or falling in bands of social status.

Knowing that customer's willingness-to-pay price range, they will only show you to that range, no others.

Discrimiation of customers by affordability-scale irks! What have you got to say?

We are enthusiasts with willing minds and keen hearts to see, learn and grow.

It is wanting that some dealers have certain practices that label koi as SOLD OUT yet sell them readily to upper-end customers.

I will be first to turn away from such unacceptable dealers' conducts.

A boycott will teach them a lesson and learn the hard way!

On honesty aspects, just having to move koi and fetch in money, some dealers may claim koi to be Tosai (yearlings), when not.

At times, occasional exaggerations are expected, whatever show-grade quality of great potential and hence tategoi - FIBS.

Lies! Garbage! Duck-tales! All advertising gimmicks! Please! Give me a break!

Hence it is pertinent to have forge good friendship with some good dealers that are open and earnest to ALL customers.

What would it be for others?
    God bless. Madison, BK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyhow, we have all seen that. My question is - do most of you have a specific dealer that you purchase through, or many?

I purchase fish from 3 dealers in my area: Genkikoi, Champkoi and TseKoi.

I think if one does not have the trust to buy from a dealer, then dont buy from that person. I have different relationships with my dealers and they know my level of hobby....Let just say I know enough now not to get "BS" from someone.

I have the utmost confidence and trust with all my dealers, even the most careful dealer has problems...so no one is perfect. I have never joined a club and at that time when the internet was still a luxury for most I was learning from my dealers.

Knowing that they will quarantine the fish properly and hold back any that are not ready?

I know when fish come in and I usually insist the fish stay at the dealer 2 weeks if the dealer doesn't ask me. I know all of this because I have that relationship with the dealer.

I usually buy because of quality. Name brand is secondary...Hobbyist should not be sold on Name Brand alone. It is up to the hobbyist to educate him or herself with what they like not what Name it carries.

Because they will give you an honest assessment on a perspective purchase, regardless of whether it will cost them a sell or not?

The dealer can only tell you so much and I find with my dealers they dont really need to "Hype" up a sale with me. Plus my dealers dont really care if you buy or not, know that a fish that you pass on will be sold to someone else so you dont hurt anyones feelings if you dont buy. It all comes down to knowledge again if your not experienced enough to know about the potential purchase then study up.

Didn't get this last question, but being a dealer is alot of work...Do I know enough to be a dealer? Yes...Would I be a dealer? No....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C

I purchase koi from few local dealers here in NorCal.

All of that. I think most of the koi dealers were/are in the koi hobby.
    But koi dealers are also in the business context too. And of course,
    each dealer has different way to run his/her business.

There is a dealer that sell and bag fish upon arrival - one time I question
    about quarantine, he said that all his koi were quarantined 30 days
    in Japan before shipment? Sometime, I just wonder what "quarantine"
    really means in the Koi context?

When dealer has shipment with brand names, more temptations to
    go to check them out. But I normally buy quality koi that I love, not brand
    name.

Well, this is a top question;-)) Koi is also an art to me - dealing with art,
    it very very hard to say about the cost.

There is a dealer posts a koi for big $$$$ on his website, but can sell
    to you only 1/3 or 1/2 of the posted price. So, you go and figure
    it out;-))

would love to be a koi dealer;-)) but I guess it will never happen.....What would it be for other "koi masters" in this forum???????

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyKoi

I wish you the best in your journey!

Some notorious dealers at my region has customers stratified or falling in bands of social status.

Knowing that customer's willingness-to-pay price range, they will only show you to that range, no others.

Discrimiation of customers by affordability-scale irks! What have you got to say?
    While I have not experienced this myself (still WAY young in the hobby) I would frown upon that as well. Humans are resourceful - being so, you never know what a person's limit when it comes to their passion is.

Post Thanks / Like

Risk? I agree they must sell right koi to an individual who can do right things for koi and realize potential!

I have few specific dealer that for my purchases, say 3, engaged in long term healthily genuine friendship.

What makes the dealer better than the other? Trust, honesty, integrity and total frankness.

Trust and confidence in their abilities will be seen over time and experience. Word of mouth has it too!

Knowing they must quarantine koi and hold back when are not ready, just show professionalism and business ethics.

Some specific breeder has koi of better qualities, coloration, conformation and established relation with foreign dealers.

A wholly honest assessment on prospective purchase and thorough inspection, are much yearned for and appreciated.

Regardless of of cost or if they sell or not, their judgement and sincerity will show.

What separates good form lesser ones is their conduct and business-deportment.

We are enthusiasts with willing minds and keen hearts to see, learn and grow.

It is wanting that some dealers have certain practices that label koi as SOLD OUT yet sell them readily to upper-end customers.

I will be first to turn away from such unacceptable dealers' conducts.

A boycott will teach them a lesson and learn the hard way!

On honesty aspects, just having to move koi and fetch in money, some dealers may claim koi to be Tosai (yearlings), when not.

At times, occasional exaggerations are expected, whatever show-grade quality of great potential and hence tategoi - FIBS.

Lies! Garbage! Duck-tales! All advertising gimmicks! Please! Give me a break!

Hence it is pertinent to have forge good friendship with some good dealers that are open and earnest to ALL customers.

What would it be for others?
    God bless. Madison, BK.

Are you shopping for koi locally or using the internet?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Koi DEALER!?
    Well gee they are people too.....aren't they? But am I wrong by referring to them as "middlemen"?

Now Koi BREEDERS.
    They often have other goals as well. like making enough money so they can get better and stay in the business of creating koi.
    and here is one angle you must consider. Good koi are Limited. Breeders often pick their best koi to be sold to the best koi keepers they know that SHOW koi and have suitable set ups. If you don't establish a two-way communication with breeders as to what you can do with their koi then you won't get as good a tategoi as the guy that does. You'll pay the same, you just won't get the best till you have the breeder's confidence..

Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT i ALWAYS LOOKED AT FOR A DEALER WAS

someone ethical

someone with tremendous knowledge I could learn from

someone thru observation, i could attest to that they knew what they were doing. ( healthy koi for sale, q tank etc)

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    WHAT i ALWAYS LOOKED AT FOR A DEALER WAS

someone ethical

someone with tremendous knowledge I could learn from

someone thru observation, i could attest to that they knew what they were doing. ( healthy koi for sale, q tank etc)
    Very good example - Thanks Dick!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two domestic breeders and 5 dealers I trust sufficiently to buy from. However, as time goes by, I appreciate more the Japanese approach of developing a continuing, loyal relationship with a particular dealer. I cannot visit a worthy dealer (or breeder) without spending a considerable sum on plane flights to other cities, or wearing myself out driving 12+ hours one-way to get to one. I know that photos cannot be relied upon. So, I have to either wait for something I want to appear for sale at a show I happen to attend, or buy from a photo and rely on the dealer/breeder to understand my preferences and interest. .....It is tough to develop a relationship long-distance.